Sunrise quote question and Okna information

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
HoundDog

Sunrise quote question and Okna information

#1 Post by HoundDog »

I'm just starting down the replacement window path. I've had quotes ranging from $85,000 down to $23,000... which caused me to just stay put and not move on anything. I have 26 or so windows in the home.

I am currently considering just replacing the family room which has five double hung, two curved (eye-brow) type windows, and a large picture window. Three of the double hungs are all mulled together on one wall with three smaller transoms above. I received a quote of $8774.00 for a Sunrise triple pane, Apex with grids. Installation includes new J-channel (which I have no idea what this means) and color match silicone for exterior match. Interior will receive commercial grade window and door foam for insulation value and new trim and extension jimbs to match existing trim detail (again, I am not clear on what these extra details mean).

My questions.... does the Sunrise quote seem appropriate and inline???
Second question... I came across information on a window called Okna. Their 500 Series has a u-value of .15 and a SHGC value of .26. This is the lowest U value I've seen on a window. Does anyone have feedback on OKNA replacement windows?

Windows on Washington

Re: Sunrise quote question and Okna information

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The replacement details and price seem to be well in line with a full tear out application.

Where is the home located?

Plenty of feedback on Okna on this forum and it is a very highly regarded window.

HoundDog

#3 Post by HoundDog »

Thank you for the reply. The home is in Michigan it's been brutal with the existing Carefree windows originally installed by the builder.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I had to pull the info to find the U.15.
Yep it is triple pane with krypton gas ( be careful Superman).

And the other very important part is the air infiltration/leakage/draft is .02 on the 500 Insultec DH.
Great window with a true lifetime warranty.

theWindowNerd...

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

I'm lost. 26 windows installed, ranging in price from $23k to $85k(yikes on that one), but you have a quote for Sunrise with triple pane for $8700? That is like $330 a piece, and probably less than the wholesale cost of the window. If you missed digit and that was supposed to be $87k, that is $3300+ per window, and VERY extreme no matter what type of installation it is.
This is purely speculation on my part, but based on the info that you have given, I can't see that exceeding $50k on the high end, nor going much below $25k on the low end.

Randy

#6 Post by Randy »

I think the $8774.00 is just for the five windows in the family room.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Randy wrote:I think the $8774.00 is just for the five windows in the family room.
good call... read it a few times and somehow i missed that... That does sound about right.