Unbiased opinion

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
toddinmn

Re: Unbiased opinion

#16 Post by toddinmn »

That looks a lot better.
I think the aluminum would have looked better with a brickmold bend in it. I never cap anything flat. I would not pay for what they did, I would charge them for removing there mess. When you get a bad contractor it is best to part ways as soon as possible, letting them try to fix a mess usually leads to another. The contractor should have know better, they should know what there workers can do, when I tried a new person to some aluminum work last year I dismissed them before they could finish 1 window.
If you do your windows in PVC what would you do with the sill?

Sth3747

#17 Post by Sth3747 »

Good point. I suppose if I have to keep the sill painted I might as well use wood brickmold. You mentioned a brickmold bend in the aluminum. That would help the look a lot, but I've never seen anyone in my area take the time to do that.

toddinmn

#18 Post by toddinmn »

I'd be a little leary of using modern wood brickmold since most of it is finger jointed pine that does not hold up like old growth pine. .
It looked like in the pictures they may have run the aluminum up the window at the sill , hard to say how to address that without better pics.
A brickmold bend in the aluminum is a very basic bend, Any aluminum person should be able to bend this in their sleep. It will also make the capping stronger, less prone to "oil canning" and better looking IMO.

Sth3747

#19 Post by Sth3747 »

New installer came Tuesday and started re-wrapping my windows. This guy did much better work. He couldn't figure out why they didn't cut the kerf around the windows the first time. He did and they look much better. Couldn't get him to put a brickmold bend in the aluminum for me. He said he had never seen that done and had never been asked to do it. Still they look much better. Two more dormer windows to do and it will finally be done. Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.

HomeSealed

#20 Post by HomeSealed »

Sth3747 wrote:New installer came Tuesday and started re-wrapping my windows. This guy did much better work. He couldn't figure out why they didn't cut the kerf around the windows the first time. He did and they look much better. Couldn't get him to put a brickmold bend in the aluminum for me. He said he had never seen that done and had never been asked to do it. Still they look much better. Two more dormer windows to do and it will finally be done. Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.
Sounds like a good solution. Its always best to give them the opportunity to fix things. Even the best companies have a questionable job here and there, but standing behind their work and fixing it is what separates the good guys from the bad...
Perhaps the brickmold bend is a regional thing. Its pretty standard around here as well.

Windows on Washington

#21 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Glad they got it fixed up for you. Every company makes mistakes but if they make an honest effort to resolve the issue, that is what counts.