Ideal Majestic Signature vs. BF Rich

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
rvsarch

Ideal Majestic Signature vs. BF Rich

#1 Post by rvsarch »

I am replacing steel casement windows in a house that was built in 1927, just outside Philadelphia. There are 37 casements and 5 picture windows going into 29 openings. The house is a large 5 bedroom and the biggest opening is five feet wide by six feet tall. The total area is 340 square feet and I got two independent quotes for vinyl replacement windows. Both are very close, just under $25,000. A number of houses on the street had replacements done by the first installer with Ideal Majestic Signature windows. One house was done by the same installer using Crystal, but he does not deal with that manufacturer any more. The second installer has quoted BF Rich casements and is not local. All windows have internal grids, argon/low-e glass and are off white inside and out. Nothing fancy. Any opinions about the price and quality of the proposed windows?

Delaware Mike

Re: Ideal Majestic Signature vs. BF Rich

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

It is extremely hard to comment on pricing without seeing the installation variables in person first hand. Some windows can take 45 minutes to install each while others could be 3-4 hours per unit.

rvsarch

#3 Post by rvsarch »

I understand that installation costs are project dependent. Since both installers have come out and priced the same project, I would still like to find out if the two proposed window systems are comparable in price and quality. I was hoping someone was familiar with the products and could give me some insight.

The house is a combination of stucco and brick exterior walls. The steel casement frames are very thin and just screwed into wood under the glazing compound of the fixed glass. The screw heads are actually visible where the casements open along the perimeter. The interior jambs, heads and sills are wood, not plaster. The replacement windows are much thicker and will cover more than half of the exposed interior jambs, heads and sills. I assume the frames will be screwed through the wood into studs or nailers. Both contractors will use a wood trim piece on the inside against the vinyl frame. On the outside they will cap the sill and narrow brickmold around each window.

Hope this helps.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not a huge fan of either but if I had to choose, I think the Majestic is the better window.

That all being said, the numbers seem light given that type of application as well as the exteriors.