Ellison Window Question for New contsruction

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
blb078

Ellison Window Question for New contsruction

#1 Post by blb078 »

Hello, just joined and have a question about ellison windows. I am GCing my own new construction home. The lumber co that gave us a quote for windows also gave us an option of a jeld wen window, not sure the series but it was the entry level builders grade. They also gave us an option for a ellsion 450 series which was about 3k more. Looking at ellisons site I can't seem to find much of a difference between the 150 series and the 450 series other than jamb depth. I'm not a window expert but is the ellison 450 a good window? Is there something else I should ask about that is along the same price but better? Not even sure what all they carry just know they have jeld wen, ellison and anderson. The anderson's are out of the price range so I'm just curious if the ellison 450 is worth the 3k over the jeld wen and how good they are in general. thanks

brian

TheWindowNerd

Re: Ellison Window Question for New contsruction

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Where is your project located.
I look at the Ellison site and found what I do not like, no structural test reports.
Depending on where your project is we may be able to suggest a good new construction window.
If it was available to you I would suggest the Okna5500.

theWindowNerd.

blb078

#3 Post by blb078 »

Hi, I'm in the St. Louis, MO area(wentzville) and sorry it was the 150 series not 450.

blb078

#4 Post by blb078 »

TheWindowNerd wrote:Where is your project located.
I look at the Ellison site and found what I do not like, no structural test reports.
Depending on where your project is we may be able to suggest a good new construction window.
If it was available to you I would suggest the Okna5500.

theWindowNerd.
I tried looking online and couldn't find an Okna dealer in our area. Doesn't look like they have a "where to buy" section on their site either. Price wise will okna5500 be about the same as the ellison or jeld wen? Our budget is about 13k for windows not counting installing which the carpenters will do and that is pretty much what the ellison came to in a dark tan color though.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

Both Ellison and Jeldwin are known for their cheap cost. They are NOT known for their quality or looks.

blb078

#6 Post by blb078 »

masterext wrote:Both Ellison and Jeldwin are known for their cheap cost. They are NOT known for their quality or looks.
thanks for the info, that is kind of what i'm gathering here. any recommendations on a new construction window in the st. louis area?

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I will check with Okna, and get back to you.
Or you can call them during regular business hours and ask for Sharleen or Cindy 215 788 7000

blb078

#8 Post by blb078 »

TheWindowNerd wrote:I will check with Okna, and get back to you.
Or you can call them during regular business hours and ask for Sharleen or Cindy 215 788 7000
Great thanks, any other windows out there that may be decent but not break the bank? What about the simonton pro finish contractor? from what i've read they seem to be ok but not the best.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Simonton profinish is Ok but not great. I would like to see you get the Okna 5500.

TheWindowNerd.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Many of the pros who post can get the Okna windows.
Perhaps you reach out to one of them to with your take off list to see if they can drop ship the windows to you.

theWindowNerd.

blb078

#11 Post by blb078 »

TheWindowNerd wrote:Many of the pros who post can get the Okna windows.
Perhaps you reach out to one of them to with your take off list to see if they can drop ship the windows to you.

theWindowNerd.

Great thanks for the info. basically here is where i'm at with this particular lumber co. this is for 51 windows in the home
jeld win builder grade 9k
ellison 150 13k
anderson 100 18k
simonton pro finsih master 18k(the contractor is also 18k, something about the master offering a discount)
he also said this about the simonton. "Simonton will not mull the top window over the twin, so that will have to be done by the contractor in the field" I don't know what that means exactly and how it effects the carpenters putting in the windows
they can't get okna

Another lumber company who was more expensive in the entire package has the simonton pro contractor for 13k. but their overall lumber package wasn't as good(price was about the same just not as many options for interior stuff)

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

All of those numbers are uber thin either way. The lumber yard isn't making much, if anything, on those units.

To me, the Andersen 100 if prettier of those two units but I would also be building nearly any home that I build today with triple pane glass. When you leverage that over the life of the loan, it would pay itself back about 5 times over.

blb078

#13 Post by blb078 »

Windows on Washington wrote:All of those numbers are uber thin either way. The lumber yard isn't making much, if anything, on those units.

To me, the Andersen 100 if prettier of those two units but I would also be building nearly any home that I build today with triple pane glass. When you leverage that over the life of the loan, it would pay itself back about 5 times over.
thanks, as for triple pane glass is the only advantage energy savings? While nice it's not a big thing for us, mainly because there will not be a loan on the house and probably next year we will have a small solar field, not that we want to avoid energy savings it's just not as important to us as it might be for someone else. Basically what we're looking for is looks, and it just not falling apart on us or leaking air/water. The house will have a two story great room though with a lot of windows in it. What i do want to avoid is being cold when you are by the windows in the winter time. We are in the St. Louis, mo area so our winters are horrible but it does get cold.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

Well...when you feel cold you are feeling heat loss.

Triple pane will help with that and the more that you slow the heat loss, the more efficient that solar field will be and you can possible put energy back on the grid at that point and get money back.