Top 5 Questions to ask potential contractors

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
mrholty

Top 5 Questions to ask potential contractors

#1 Post by mrholty »

I've perused this forum several years ago when I was building our house (and let my GC convince me on some crap windows which I immediately regretted). :oops: :evil:

I've recently come here for advice and have been recommended to someone on here after my mother received some sticker shock on some windows. The problem I have (and don't take it personally its not you its me) is that how do I know that this website which came up #2 on Google isn't just a site set to drive customers to certain mfgs and installers. With that said -
what are the 5 questions you need to ask an installer about the windows themselves and the installation process to put you at ease.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a standard for ratings in how windows are measured for say energy efficiency or sound proof as everybody says their way is the best and their windows are the best.

Windows on Washington

Re: Top 5 Questions to ask potential contractors

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

To answer you first question, the easiest way to tell it is not purely a lead generation funnel is the fact that you can post questions without having to provide information.

The sites that are unabashadly lead generation make you put down information before you get any feedback or fake feedback to be honest.

Most of the sites are full of BS information and funnel you to a information gathering section to sell your information to installation companies.

This site is different from the start. Yes there is a section that allows you to click on a poster's name, but you get connected, in that situation, to that poster alone. It is more like an electronic handshake/introduction.

Very different models and levels of information.

To you other question, the salesperson should know the basics. On the performance side, I want to know U-Factor, Air Infiltration, Design Pressure, and SHGC.

On the install end of things, I want to know about foam, capping materials, and consumables (i.e. caulking, coil, foam, etc.).

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Most of us pros comment on products and events that we have no profit on. You will also see some differences of opinion, ie I am a much more clad wood full frame oriented guy than the rest. We let you see the warts in the business. We direct you to objective test results as well as subjective decades of experience. You know all that because you came back.

Is the contractor doing a needs assesment? Trying to figure out whats best for you.
Are being offered a range of solutions? Do they know enough to answer your questions? Do they hear you?

On the install side depending on how complicated your project you may want a master installer, typically some one with a minimum of ten years full time multi product experience. If your project is simple you can use a lead installer with as little as 5 years under the belt. As my friend Homesealed would say IMHO.

theWindowNerd

mrholty

#4 Post by mrholty »

Thanks Gentlemen. You are correct in that it doesn't feel like a sales funnel which is why I feel comfortable here. Its also why if it is a lead funnel its the best long term one I've seen.

uncle eddie

#5 Post by uncle eddie »

Some sites are more of a blog style. There is usually one party answering questions, those posts are filtered and approved before going live, etc. Those can be pretty heavily biased. This is an open forum. Anyone can join, comment, and the posts go right up. Can't get much more impartial than that. It's a great resource.

Don K.

#6 Post by Don K. »

mrholty wrote:Thanks Gentlemen. You are correct in that it doesn't feel like a sales funnel which is why I feel comfortable here. Its also why if it is a lead funnel its the best long term one I've seen.
Being only an interested party and buyer of windows installed little over year ago. The information I received then from this group of knowledgeable people was invaluable and had nothing to do with a sales funnel.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Don K. wrote:
mrholty wrote:Thanks Gentlemen. You are correct in that it doesn't feel like a sales funnel which is why I feel comfortable here. Its also why if it is a lead funnel its the best long term one I've seen.
Being only an interested party and buyer of windows installed little over year ago. The information I received then from this group of knowledgeable people was invaluable and had nothing to do with a sales funnel.
Thanks Don K.

We very much appreciate the feedback.

Eric

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yep. Thanks to all who sharpen us.
Thanks also to respected peers for what you do for those who ask for your help..

theWindowNerd.