Checklist for a high-quality install

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Mark

Checklist for a high-quality install

#1 Post by Mark »

When I get my new windows installed, I will be home. I will be watching the installers do their work, because, frankly, it is always more fun to watch someone else do skilled work (that you yourself don't have a clue how to do). I'm smart enough to not get in their way (too much) or to ask (too many) questions that will slow them down.

I want to know what are the things that I can spot that are signs of them doing a high-quality install. Kind of like art appreciation - I'm not smart enough to recognize the high skill involved, so tell me the signs that it is high skill. I trust that I am going to get a highly experienced installer, so it is not really that I want to watch for mistakes - it is more that I want to appreciate what they are doing. But if a newbie assistant does something contrary to what you all say, I can quietly ask the head installer about it.

Kind of like a checklist. The below is a made-up list to kind to give you an idea what I am looking for:
Lay tarp on floor
Cut out old window by doing ________
Inspect window frame for _________
Seal window frame by doing ________
Dry fit new window
Fit in new window by doing _________
Add insulation around new window
Caulk new window
Cap outside by doing _______
Clean up by doing ________

Thank you all.

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

Well Mark, as an installer and home owner I understand your interest. The only thing I don't do in my home is Drain Cleaning. I hate it. Luckily I have learned all the other trades to perform everything else I need. Here is what I would really worry about more than anything.

A1+ Pre measure all the new windows to make sure they will fit right.
1) - The drop cloths on the floor is important
2) - How they remove the old stuff isn't a big deal unless your hear a muffled cuss word or one guy running over to another.
3) - The installers should look for any visible water damage after removal
4) - Dry fitting is not needed. Make sure you have a gap around new unit
5) - Make sure the window is shimmed level from the under side
6) - If installing DH units, make sure there is a shim in the center on each side where the units lock together when closed. This keeps your vertical reveal straight. Your sash seal should be snug to the frame with no gap.
7) - Inside of unit should be tight to your inside stops. No gaps unless stops are not aligned correctly. Insulation should be around all four side of the unit.
8) - Exterior wrapping should be nice and straight. No gaps or sharp edges. Wrap should be caulked to the window unit and sealed around the outside.The caulk shouldn't be smeared all over your window.
9) - Area should be cleaned of all debris when done.
10) - Refrain from asking any questions about installation until job is completed. A lot of things are done in certain order by installers. Caulking is usually last thing done on all windows. This way we keep it off our fingers while working.
11) - installer should do a walk through and show you how to operate and care for your new windows when finished.

Hope This Helps!
Guy

E-Z

#3 Post by E-Z »

Also Mark one thing that you can do is ask for the manufacturers instructions. It does not sound like much but believe me Internally the company will make sure to send their best crew. Do not be a pain in the ~ because that is counter productive but do comunicate with the company before hand and then with the crew leader. I always make myself available on the installs and encourage the customer to ask questions in fact i kid around and tell them i can teach them to put windows in, the idea is to develop a trusting and friendly athmosphere so all the cards are on the table from the get go. A lot of people think they need to not miss a beat and always be on the installer's shoulder but that is irritating specially because they are the pro's, but genuine interest on your project and the installation process can be appreciated by an installer and is a good idea on your part.

Good luck
E-z
E-z
E-z Windows

Mark

#4 Post by Mark »

To all of you offering suggestions, thanks.

Can you explain some of the terms you used?

"Make sure the window is shimmed level from the under side "

"Make sure you have a gap around new unit "

"make sure there is a shim in the center on each side where the units lock together when closed"

"Inside of unit should be tight to your inside stops"

"check the interior stops"

"Your sash seal should be snug to the frame with no gap"

"vertical reveal straight"

Thank you.

Guy

#5 Post by Guy »

Mark I would need about three days to write a novel explaining all these things. It's hard enough showing people what we are doing. I would suggest asking your installer when they aren't very busy. It would take them about five or ten minutes to show you. Thus eliminating an long nights of novel writing. Sometimes the simplest things to us are in a different language to others. Sorry about that. I forget that most people don't understand our foreign language. Just run off the list and ask away.

Guy

FenEx

#6 Post by FenEx »

Guy

You are making me actually miss my hammer-swingin' days. I can understand the details most mention... but I am thinking that if a homeowner is completely lost... that's all the more reason they need to find a competant contractor and invest in trust, rather than trying to learn an entire trade through the internet. For many years I found it tough enough to train my employees to follow the correct techniques, let alone someone outside the business.