Milgard Casements -- Easy To Clean?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Trencher

Milgard Casements -- Easy To Clean?

#1 Post by Trencher »

I'm considering replacing my foggy aluminum sliders with Milgard woodclad fiberglass casements, but I haven't been able to find out if they can be cleaned from the inside. This is very important for me because some of our windows are three stories high. Milgard's literature talks about jamb hinges that allow easy egress, but never mention easy cleaning. Can someone tell me if Milgards fiberglass casements are hinged so that you can wash the outside of the window from the inside? Thanks.

Shocker

#2 Post by Shocker »

I have them, so i just tried it for you. Yes, you can clean them from the inside if you don't have a super fat arm. Any sash wider than 24" and you'll need real long arms.

FenEx

r

#3 Post by FenEx »

OMG.. LMAO!!! Tooo funny Shocker. I wonder if Milgard should add that to their sales literature.

"EASY TO CLEAN!!!... unless you have short, super-fat arms."

RC

#4 Post by RC »

They are more difficult to clean than units where the sash is not hinged from the left/right. For instance, the Marvin and Pella casement sashes move so that both sides of the glass are easily (and safely) cleaned from the inside.

Trencher

#5 Post by Trencher »

Thanks for the info, Shocker. I went to the home show yesterday and finally got to see some Milgard Ultra Woodclad casements, and I agree that they can be cleaned from the inside. I will have a couple of 36-inch casements, but I think a squeegee with about a 12-inch handle should work fine.