"Low Profile" replacement window options (in Maryl

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
lookin4windowsinMD

"Low Profile" replacement window options (in Maryl

#1 Post by lookin4windowsinMD »

Hi all,

I've been reading this forum and I am a bit overwhelmed by all the comments, but that is a good thing since this is the first site I have found that has good advice on windows.

In short, I am looking to replace 16 double hung windows in a 1961 brick house in Maryland. The windows are mostly smaller than you find in a new house (most are around 28"w X 41"h) so I am concerned about losing too much glass in the replacement. I have looked at the Alside Excalibur, but most people here don't seem to like it. What other options exist in windows with relatively thin sash?

To add more questions to the mix, we are not sold on Vinyl windows yet, either. Our house has wood floors so we are considering wood windows, but we haven't had much luck finding any that we like. What do you all recommend? We have looked at Loewen, but they are kind of pricy.

Of course, I'd also appreciate any recommendations on installers in Maryland since I know that the contractor can make all the difference.

Thanks and have a good one.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

You may want to take a look at Sunrise Windows. They have a narrowline sash and sill like you are looking for.
It's another brand I'm a dealer of besides Schuco. They don't have locking screens, TPS seals, shadow grooved welds, etc. like Schuco, but they do have their own list of exclusive options and features that make them very attractive and worth looking at.
They are available in triple which puts them in the same general U-factor range as Schuco and other super efficient windows. U values with triple glazing range from .16 to .22 depending on the window type.
They also have some color combinations that most windows don't have. Besides the normal white in/out, you can get tan, sandstone, and earthtone on the outside, with the inside being a different color such as white or one of a selection of woodgrains. The windows are co-extruded, not painted, so you don't have to worry about paint coming off over time.

Sunrise also has blinds and sunshades available between the glass which is really nice. They have recently added doublehung windows to the list of windows and patio doors that are available with this option. The blinds come in 7 colors and the shades come in 5.
They have also recently come out with one of the nicest folding handles I have seen for casement and awning windows. Very clean.
http://www.sunrisewindows.com/

lookin4windowsinMD

#3 Post by lookin4windowsinMD »

Thanks for the information. Any idea who in Maryland sells Sunrise?

I'm going to the Maryland Home Show this weekend, so I'll look around up there, too.

Any advice on wood interior windows? Seems like most of the posts here are about Vinyl windows. Thanks.