South Texas recommendations for brands - Don Young, JeldWen,

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
riley2008

South Texas recommendations for brands - Don Young, JeldWen,

#1 Post by riley2008 »

I have have 4 estimates in replacing 19 windows in our 11 year old home (single pane aluminum). Of the 19 windows, 10 are large double windows (70x70) and 1 a triple (105X60) - so basically 31 windows in all.

We've gotten estimates to replace the sash and windows, but I really want the aluminum gone.

Other options - JeldWen, Certainteed, Don Young, and then Lowe's and Home Depot (American Craftsman? and Pella). The Lowe's and HomeDepot quotes were the most as the installers come from Corpus Christi and Houston (and I don't think they want to be here) - window cost all about the same, but installation charges were about $5000, compared to $2500 to $3500 locally. I'd really like to stay away from them.

Also, we're thinking of contracting the front of the house and doing the back of the home ourselves at a later time - this fall or next spring maybe.

The front of our 2-story house faces north/north-west and the evening sun is a killer. Also, these strong unusual north winds we've had have been bad too.

I am SO tired of looking for the "perfect" window and every contractor has their favorite. Thankfully, no one has been "pushy". I can also find plenty of negatives for just about every window, except some well out of our price range. I am about ready to just order windows from the next guy that calls for a "follow up" as anything has got to be better than what we have.

Any advice? :?

Randy

Re: South Texas recommendations for brands - Don Young, JeldWen,

#2 Post by Randy »

1. Don Young
2. Certainteed
3. the rest

Surely you could find a dealer for Simonton down there. The 5500 would be better than any of the brands you're considering.

When you start getting frustrated with the process, you're more apt to make a buying mistake. Maybe take a week or two off without even thinking about windows, and then reevaluate.

proteus

Re: South Texas recommendations for brands - Don Young, JeldWen,

#3 Post by proteus »

the glas specs from dyc were equal or a little better than simonton also got my energy bucks and packed insulation around frames plumbed and set all windows as i belt sanded all sills and glued down protectoseal rubber tape over all sills it took more time than most but they are spot on and do not leak ,novaseal 100 % silicone is nice but hard to work with then covered with a matching poly tan caulk from abc supply it is paintable the silicone is not .
the new windows are thicker 3/1/8 inch thick and had to buld out the siding facing to match the rest of the house
looks like it did in 1972 but better

i do have a lot of pics if you want have just installed a 3 lite full viewcenter picture window with DYC casement flankers very nice, price was right too,
pain to install but better than before and has a u rating of .28