I Need A Ton of Help in Northern NJ

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
LKC

I Need A Ton of Help in Northern NJ

#1 Post by LKC »

Hello,

I am new to this board and I am totally confused with buying replacement windows. I need 4 windows in my kitchen and I have no idea which one to choose.

I want a good window with a great warranty and is not too expensive. (also want to take advantage of the tax credit) I was also thinking of having my handyman install them. (good idea or not?)

I get all of these window ads in the mail (Thermo-Tite, Castle, Anderson Silver Line, Pella and got one today, American Window Factory) Are these worth checking or are they a scam?

Also wanted to know if going to a Lowe's or Home Depot would be OK.

Please HELP!!

Thanks,
LKC

buddy11

Re: I Need A Ton of Help in Northern NJ

#2 Post by buddy11 »

Most if not all of those you mentioned are the scarey kind of window companies. Look local and smaller. You'll get better service and most likley a better window.

Have a look at:
Sunrise, Okna and Gorell. Stay away from ANYONE who tells you they manufacture their own window. 99% of the time it's BS

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 To Buddy's comments. Couldn't have said it better. :D

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

A good start would be to toss all of those mailers in the trash. The Castle ad is flat out hilarious with their "old window trade in special." All of those dealers carry low-grade vinyl, yet sell them at a premium price based upon some very slick sales presentations.

LKC

#5 Post by LKC »

Thanks Buddy, but where do I get the ones you mentioned. (Sunrise, Okna and Gorell) I have never heard of those.

So you are also saying that Anderson, Pella, Home Depot and Lowe's are horrible??

Thanks,
LKC

Bill

#6 Post by Bill »

Simonton Windows would be another good window to add to the list. If you decide to go the route of your handyman install you may find it easier to purchase a Simonton.

The Reflections 5500 or the Impressions 9800 would be your best options from Simonton.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

I would advise against Lowes or HD as they use lower end products and underpay their subs IMO. Going through Pella is ok, although I'd only look at their Designer/Architect/Renovations wood lines, and you'll pay a premium. As far as a handyman install, I guess it depends on his experience. If he is an experienced, skilled craftsman, odds are he might cost as much as a good local window company.

Bill

#8 Post by Bill »

That’s a good point; does your handyman have any experience with windows?

You stated that you wanted a “great warranty”. The manufacturer can offer the best warranty in the world but if the installation is done improperly the warranty will not help much.

A very high percentage of problems that manufacturers respond to are installation related.

I believe your safest bet is a good window installed by a reputable window dealer. Again Softlite, Simonton, Gorell & Sunrise not in any specific order will serve you well.