Newer Construction Home - Installing Window Trim?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Duke

Newer Construction Home - Installing Window Trim?

#1 Post by Duke »

Greetings, my first post here!

My home is new construction (2002) in Southern California and has drywall around the inside of the window frame. I believe there is metal edging around the inside edges of the frame.

I would like to add casing with a stool and apron. However, I have to remove the drywall at the bottom of the window in order to install the stool properly. The pros that have been installing trim around here simply put the stool on top of the drywall. The problem with that is then you can’t remove the window!

My question is: What is the best way to remove the drywall at the bottom of the window. And what will be exposed; a 2x4 to attach the new stool to?

I would greatly appreciate your help, thanks!

-Duke

ProfX

#2 Post by ProfX »

Hey Duke, welcome to the site. At the bottom of the interior of the window inside the opening measure down 3/4" and draw a straight line with a level the width of the opening. Then take a razor knife and cut this line several times, also cut along where the sheetrock meets the window at the bottom, and where your sides drop to the bottom inside the sheetrock return. If you cut these lines at a depth of 3/4" it should lift out. If not take a putty knife and gently tap into the lines you have cut and pry up. This will expose the rough opening and you can place your stool nosing there. When doing jobs like these I like to use a pretty 3/4" oak and bring out extension jambs from the window usually 2-3" flush with the interior wall, then case it out with a 2 1/4" or 3 1/4" casing. You can also add quarter round or some cove mould where the extension jamb meets the window for a great finished look. Good luck!

Duke

#3 Post by Duke »

Wow, thanks for the quick reply and detailed explanation; you make it sound pretty easy. I’ll give it a shot!

-Duke

handyman19619

#4 Post by handyman19619 »

A roto zip makes it quick. Just follow the edge of the corner bead(the metal edging you spoke of)