1977 Pellas - Must We Tear Out?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
SBLF

1977 Pellas - Must We Tear Out?

#1 Post by SBLF »

My house was built in 1977 using Pella windows (the kind with inside storm windows rather than double pane). I'm looking at having Marvin Infinity windows put in to replace the Pella. I was told by my installer (who has a good reputation) that it is not possible to use inserts with these old Pellas because there is a heavy metal lip that is part of the frame. I have a picture of the frame, but can't figure out how to post it.

Has anyone had experience with replacing mid-70's Pellas? Do they need to be torn out?

Thanks!

usmarine0352

#2 Post by usmarine0352 »

I know some windows have to be installed as a full frame (total tear-out) because of the existing window.

One such window is an older Hayfield. Because of the metal lip.

So I wouldn't doubt if your older Pella's might have the same problem and need to be a full frame install.

I can't be sure though. You might want to get another company to come out there and take a look at it.

FenEx

#3 Post by FenEx »

SBLF

There are other benefits to doing a full frame replacement anyways and I can safely say that about 40% of ours are done this way. You get original size windows without the extensive glass loss and a more original appearance. You will also get better performance as I can GUARANTY that the old jambs have either fiber glass or NO insulation or air seal around them. The heat will move right around you new windows behind the old jambs..