Windows (At Least Some) Being Installed Today

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
BruceS

Windows (At Least Some) Being Installed Today

#1 Post by BruceS »

Hi all -- Have been lurking here a while and used a lot of the information from this board in my decision making process. Thanks to all who contribute to this great site!

Anyhow, I have contracted for new windows 18 Double hung, 2 Sliders, 1 large picture with half round above another large half round in master bath and a garden window for the kitchen. I went with the Alside Sheffield with Climatech Plus (Superspacer, Solarban. Low-E, Argon)

The crew (4 guys) are here today, but a couple of snafu's and questions, I'd like to get some opinions on--if you don't mind.

First of all, thy've already canceled one appointment for earlier this week saying all the windows didn't come in (said they were missing one??)-- no biggy-- as it is better that they have at least started while I can watch a little and ask some questions (but still being cognizant of not being a pain in the a**). I know the windows are only as good as the install, and wanted to see the gaps/etc and how these were addressed by the installer.

So they get here this morning (a bit late) and they get out of the truck only to tell me that the windows did not come with the grids I had ordered (weird thing is one of the double-window units had grids and the large picture had grids, the rest don't). They try calling the boss (salesman who sold windows to me) who they can't reach right away and he doesn't call right back. I tell them go ahead and at least get the sliders, picture windows (one of those missing too-- for the master bath half-round) and garden in today and the one double-hung, double unit that amzingly came with grids.

The crew chief tells me that they can install the windows and then the sashes can be changed out by Friday as they's have to get Alside to make the new sashes with grids which would not take a long time to do. (can it be done that quick?)

Questions I have for pros here --

1. I feel a bit uneasy about the new sashes coming in that have not been matched to the window frame (Vinyl part) by Alside -- Is there any quality control issues I should be worried about? The installer says that they should match up perfectly as they have the widow measurements. How can this be if they say each window is measured separately (even though my measurements showed all the first story d/h's to be the same size and all the second story d/h's to be the same size?

2. Issue 2 -- The Garden Window had a sticker on it saying AMI windows (a Ventanna model??). Anyhow, when they put this in on the old sill, I notice the floor of the window is all unpainted plywood-- I thought I was buying a no maintenance vinyl product -- They tell me I'll have to paint it-- Should I b--tch about this-- why cant' the floor (bottom shelf of the garden) be maintenace free?? Also after they put it in, I don't know how they are going to make this look right as the floor of this window (the wood part) is at least 1" taller than the sill --and the sill then sticks out (towards the inside of the house) another inch or two-- looks really weird. Maybe I should just sit tight on this to see after they are done.

3. Should I ask that they provide me with all the NFRC stickers?-- I hate to say it, but after paying $16K for windows -- I don't want to get duped and not get something I think I've paid for.

Thanks for any insights from the pros or any of you other homeowners who may have encountered similar issues.

windowmann2000

#2 Post by windowmann2000 »

I'm a daler and a few weeks back I oredered a job that was supposed to have grids in the top sashes and forgot to order them. That cost me $356.00. That by itself is not a problem they well be here next week and I just swap them out. It's a little inconvenience for the customer and a costly mistake for me.
Anytime I put in a garden window, I remove the old window and jamb. This way I can put the old trim back on and everything looks normal. Are you saying they just removed the sashes and set the new unit on top of the old sill...........if so that is an incorrect installation by my standards and makes trimming it out rather difficult. Keep us posted.

windowmann2000

#3 Post by windowmann2000 »

Oops, I should never post without my glasses.......only four or five typo's. One more thing the bottom of the garden window should be finished by the dealer. The units we usually order come finished, if not, they can apply an 1/8" vinyl piece and trim with aluminum. Unless the salesman pointed out to you that painting was necessary....it's their job.

BruceS

#4 Post by BruceS »

Thanks Windowman2000 for your response --

Re: the garden window, they removed the complete original d/h window unit -- the sahses and frame.

I'm not sure if I have all the terminology correct with the window pats. but the wood trim that lays flat in the opening (painted with a white gloss_ with trim moulding below it, is what I'm talking about -- guess this is not a "sill"). Since the floor of the new garden window unit is about an inch tall, they say they will put a half-round mould around it. They also will frame the outside with of the window opening with a trim mold to cover up the plywood frame.

I may be jumping the gun on this issue and it may look acceptable when done, but I feel asking questions now is the right way to go about this -- if something isn't right -- I can always say halt right there until I get it resolved with the salesman.

My other issure regarding the floor of the window being all wood is something I'd like feedback on. Is this normal for a vinyl garden? Why isn't it vinyl or another no maintenance material? I also am being told I'll ahve to paint the wood sides.

Thanks again all!

windowmann2000

#5 Post by windowmann2000 »

The norm is for the salesman to ask you if you want to paint or stain the side jambs and usually there is an option for the bottom. Pine or birch if your going to paint and oak if your going to stain. I'm still a little confused about the trim. If they removed the entire window they had to take the original casing off, and this should fit back on perfectly covering the jamb of the new garden window all the way around. The exterior for us is uaually ripping a board to size and covering it with aluminum on the sides top and bottom, and if the raw wood shows on the edges we would cover that with aluminum bending the aluminum over the piece of vinyl in your case. Another concern is the proper drip edge covering the top. Not being able to see it I'm not sure what would be best, but it has to be sealed properly.

Randy

#6 Post by Randy »

The NFRC labels should be applied to the glass on the windows. If they removed them prior to arrival at your house, I would be suspicious. The Low-E/Argon are most likely in the glass, but you might not have gotten the Super Spacer that you paid extra for. When you look at the spacer betwee the glass, you should not see any shiny metal whatsoever, you should see a dark grey or black foam material.

BruceS

#7 Post by BruceS »

Okay -- sorry to bother you, but some other issues --

The two sliders are in now. Look good, but I see the sticker says AMI Patio doors. AMI is the same sticker as on the Garden window.

A question for the pros -- Is AMI and Alside the same company? I specifically contracted for an Alside Premium SGD and received a brochure for the Alside 6100.

The big picture window and half round was also an issue. All my wood trim was capped about 9 years ago with PVC coated aluminum. When they removed the old picture window and sliders, all the capping had to come off. I specifically had gone over this with the sales rep and even color matched the other capping so that when the new windows went in the capping would match. Well luckily I saw them start capping with totally white cheap looking capping. I stopped and asked about that, and the installer said he didn't know anything about it -- common sense would have indicated that the main picture over the front door would need to match the rest of the house -- He said he was never given this info on the correct capping. I got out my contract and showed him -- so another snafu, but they have to come back anyways to do 80% more of the job -- 16 more d/h and another half round picture window.

And one of the most troublesome problems that I don't think can be resolved, is the depth of the d/h replacement window. The one d/h that did come in for my son's bedroom they did put in. However, there is no room left on the inside jamb to install blinds. I specifically asked the salesman about this when I was getting the sales pitch. He did say the Sheffield was a deeper window but I'd have plenty of room for blinds -- Well "NOT"-- after they put the quarter round moulding around, because they say the windows were not square, there is no room whatsoever -- probably 1/4 inch or less. What I'm ticked about is that I just contracted for blinds that are being made. I'm going to see if I can put in a stop order on them as they will now have to be an outside mount which I don't think is near as appealing aesthetically and will also be a problem for letting more light into the bedrooms. Should I be pis*ed about this?? Or I am I being unrealisitic and picky.

Right before the installer left, he said he had no idea when they'd be back -- they took over my garage leaving all the wrong windows (the ones with no grids there -- as they say they are just going to trade out the wrong sashes for the correct ones with grids). By the way-- can someone let me know if just swapping the sahses out is acceptable from a quality control aspect? The installer assures me, they will be the exact correct size.

I knew this whole deal would not go smoothly, but never imagined it would be this many problems, especially with only about 20% of the job done.

Lastly when I asked about a vinyl seat for the unpainted garden window, my impression was that they would not do that, but I have to take that up with the salesman or owner of the company on Monday.

Sorry to be a complainer, but for $16K, I do expect a job that I'm totally satisfied with. For those pros out there reading this -- Am I or are my concerns justified?

Thanks again!
Last edited by BruceS on Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

eberry

#8 Post by eberry »

AMI is the parent company of Alside. If you look at your nfrc sticker, get the cpd number off of that and look it up in the products directory nfrc.org and you should get back an Alside model number such as 050x for a Sheffield and 6100 for your Alside patio door.

It is disappointing that Alside screwed up (apparently) and then the installer didn't verify things when they arrived without grids from the factory. Of course, the dealer may have screwed up and mislead you that Alside is at fault as well. They should be able to size your replacement sashes correctly, since they have the exact measurements generated from your order, but I would verify they all operate smoothly with no sticking and that there isn't too much play between the sashes and the frame, just to be sure they put the right ones in the right frames, etc.

BruceS

#9 Post by BruceS »

Windowman2000 -- Just realized I didn't answer your question. Here I'm up at 3:00 AM as this window project is worrying me sick. :(

Anyhow, all my original windows in this house never had casing. The original window frames on the Gapco windows, were very thin and set all the way back in the widow opening all the way even to the exterior siding on the house. The window opeings and jambs therefore were unfinished. The jambs (if I have my terminology right -- the sides of the window opening) are actually covered with drywall.

Therefore, there is no original casing to put back on the sides.
I thought it looked okay and even sort of good when we bought the house in '93-- but now realize different.

All my original windows in the house are like this with no casing.

I'm still not sure what the bottom wooden ledge is called (I thought it was a sill). It is painted with a gloss white and then has another piece of trim moulding under it. They did not take this off when they set the window in. They also didn't take it off when they installed the d/h in my son's room. Where I used to have a ledge (sill?) of about 4-5" deep, the one in my son's room and on the garden window is not about 1-2" at most.

The other problem as I note in my post above is that there is now no room inside the window opening to install any blinds.

I'm starting to get a little nervous the more I think about this that this may be an improper install.

I wish I had picures or knew how to post them, so I could better illustrate what I'm talking about.

Also eberry, thanks for the info that AMI and Alside or really one in the same on the sliders. One less thing to worry about.

Again, I really appreciate your pros input.

Guy

#10 Post by Guy »

First of all I'm sorry to hear your having issues with your new windows. The issues your having are usually associated with unorganized companies or fly-by-night idiots. These issues do happen to the organized companies, but usually are revealed to the customer right away. Honesty any kind of problem keeps the customer in the know and off our a@$'s. We do try and cover them up sometimes so people don't fly off the handle and get mad. I'm sure they may have caught the error earlier and had already reordered your glass. Otherwise we hate to unwrap windows because it opens Pandora's Box for damage in the warehouse!

As Windowman spoke of earlier, we do make mistakes in ordering windows. We tend to loose things in the take off from the measure or it doesn't get transfered from the contract to the order sheet. Luckily in my case I sell the window and measure for the proper size at the same time. So I don't have an installer going back later if we get the job. My measure sheet has taken years to develop. I've tried to fit all the different scenarios to one sheet. So far I've had no issues when it comes to mis-ordering. Your issues with the grids happens a lot. In any case of who makes the mistake it's a very easy change out. During production of each and every window unit they are numbered and charted independently. Each manufacturing number goes back to the computer which has all the information on each specific unit. Frame size, sash sizes and even glass size. So if any issues arise they can produce new sashes or glass very quickly. If they order new sashes they will be exactly the same size as the existing ones you have. They could also send new glass but the sash replacement is much faster and easier. Nothing to loose sleep over in any way. You could even have them come and finish the windows sitting in your garage until the new ones come in.

The capping of the exterior and inside blind issue are just a lack of communication between the installer and salesman. Make sure you demand the correct capping and don't let them start with the cheap stuff. The PVC coated aluminum is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. I will only use a smooth coat if I have to match existing or need a color I can't get in PVC. Your inside blinds can be mounted on your drywall return which you have in place of the full jambed window. My home is the same way with out casing on the inside. I've mounted my blinds on the drywall returns with out issue. It's much easier and clean when finished. Hopefully you can catch the blind maker and correct any sizing issues.

Your garden window has an unfinished "Seat Board". This is common with most manufacturers. It's usually up to us that order each unit to get the proper interior seat board finishes when ordering. My supplier sends a separate seat board cap to install after I've hung the window. It can be vinyl or specific wood to match the interior of the home. This is usually the customer's responsibility to finish unless they've chosen the vinyl interior. By the way AMI stands for "Associated Materials Incorporated" the mother company to Alside. The NFRC stickers are usually on the glass as Randy spoke of earlier. We usually take them off when cleaning up the windows also. I usually place a sticker on the paper work for the customer. Not a big deal though. Each manufacturer knows where the windows are being shipped to and follow the specifications required for each climate needed at production time.

You should make sure that all of these issues are talked about when you call the salesman Monday. Bring all these issues up and put them on paper. Don't even think about paying your final payment until your completely satisfied with the job. This will always put the pressure on to resolve any issues quickly for final payment. Let us know what your resolutions are. I hope I answered some of your questions, Good Luck!!!

BruceS

#11 Post by BruceS »

Guy -- thanks so much for the info and taking care of a few of my worries.

At the time of the contract, the salesman never mentioned at all anything about the seatboard. I figure I'm buying a fully finshed product and so I'll push for them to get a vinyl seat, and then to paint the sides. They already have to patch/putty a few nail and screw holes.

A couple other questions though:

1. What is the drywall "return" you mention for the blind brackets to go on?

2. On the sliders and garden they did put some interior framing moulding up that does have nail holes/etc. Whose responsibility is it to paint? Should I just shut up on this as I have other issues that may be more important, or should I stick to my guns that the project should be totally complete to my satisfaction?

3. On the large picture window over my foyer with the attached half-round picture above it (it was one opening wth two picture windows that Alside attached much like my double, double-hung windows -- there was at lease 1/2 inch gap when they put it in that I could see to the outside on the upper half-round portion (BTW-- the window is very larger -- about 4.5 feet wide by almost 6 feet tall). I told them I wanted them to insulate the heck out of it, which they did by tearing batt (sp?) insulation and pushing it in with screw-drivers. But since they were unable to finish the capping the window is just going to sit there with the insulation exposed probably for at least a week -- and if it rains, which it will, it will most likely get soaked -- I asked if this would be a problem and the installer said no-- Question is -- Is wet insulation bad to cover up? Can it mold?

Thanks again all you pros for your advise-- It definitely should help me get the job done correctly.

Off to an Orioles game with my kid -- they get to do a Little League parade on the field today 8)

homeowner

#12 Post by homeowner »

cant help much, and it appears guy answered your questions; however, i just got the same windows. 2 things: while the window is thick, it comes to exactly the same place at the inside sill as my old one did. i assumed any variation occurred on the outside. did you have room for blinds before? also, 1 window didnt have grids, they forgot i switched from obscure to grids. they installed it and later brought replacement sash. seems like they could do the same. good luck.

Guy

#13 Post by Guy »

Hope you & your son enjoyed the O's game yesterday! The Twins got rocked by the Tigers on Saturday & swept the series yesterday. Wasn't their weekend I guess. I'm all about the football season. Huge Vikings fan, lived here all my life. I just hope all the BS is behind the team from last years "Love Boat" trip on the lake. New coach and staff should be a good change.

Back to your windows! It's usually the case in every window replacement job that the homeowner is responsible for touch up painting on the inside. So complaining on that one will get you no where. As for the space in the window above the foyer. There should be no visible area for water intrusion at all. If they left it with gaps they should of at least taped the gaps of with window tape (or flashing). This would prevent any damage. If it rains like it has here for the past four days you'll have some soaked insulation. If it gets wet have them yank it out and replace it, after it dries out.

The drywall return is the space where we usually jamb the window out (or "Jamb Extensions") with wood and nail the inside trim to it. In most applications we call it a "Jamb Box" when we have inside trim and "Jamb Extensions" that butt to a new window. We can usually all four extensions together with the trim applied and slide it in as an entire unit. Yours on the other hand have drywall butting each window with no inside trim as you explained down below. When the drywall wraps the corners of each window opening and also extends to the window. We call the piece of drywall from the window back to the corner the "Drywall Return". This is a very common application that has been used as far back as I can remember. When I have this type of application I order my windows with what we call a "Jamb Receptor" pre-attached to the window. This receptor then slides over the drywall to make the interior look sharp, clean and finished with out inside stops to take up the blind area. Now assuming your drywall comes right up to the new window. I'm assuming the quarter round they installed is covering the gap where they meet together. You should have some space to mount your blinds right next to the quarter round if there is any room. You could also mount the blind outside the window opening on the face of the sheetrock. I've attached a couple pictures showing where. The picture with the black arrow shows the Jamb Extension or Drywall Return if it was all drywall wrapping the wall. The red arrow shows the drywall that ends at the window opening. You can see the blind is mounted above the opening. The other picture is a replacement window with the stops taking up the space where the blind would go inside the opening. Since there was no room the blinds were installed above the opening. Hope these show up OK.

BruceS

#14 Post by BruceS »

Guy -- Thanks again for taking the time to illustrate through the pictures what the jamb extenders and drywall return are. I'm definitely getting an education from this.

Luckily I called the blind lady this morning and we are stopping the order and she will be back out to measure mostly like. At this point since I don't have the drywall return to work with it looks like I'll go with outside mounts.

Looks like they're coming out again Wednesday now to install the windows that came without the grids and then will just swap out the sashes when they come in.

I talked with the salesman regarding my concerns and let him know I was not happy about the depth of the windows and that he had told me I'd have plenty of room for the inside mount -- but told him I'd just have to live with it.

He said that he had called Alside regarding the seat to the garden window and he said that what they have for an insert was basically a laminate (not a vinyl seat as Windowman stated??) and he said that could scratch, so he would recommend painting. I told him I'd go ahead and do the paint as long as all nail holes and screw holes are filled -- Thanks for that advise Guy as I don't want to come across as being a jerk of a customer (even though they probably think so already).

BTW Guy -- for a Vikings fan you seem like a pretty nice guy-- I was born up close to Green Bay and have been a Packer fan all my life, even though I moved to the DC area in the mid '70's-- never have liked the Redskins, never will. Glad that Favre is back this year . Also glad to see that Randy Moss was let fo last year by your team. :)

Thanks again for all your help and pictures.

I'll update this thread once the remainder of the d/h's go in this week.

BruceS

#15 Post by BruceS »

Homeowner -- Thanks for your response -- glad to hear that the sash problem worked out for you. Like Guy says, I'll check all the windows carefully after they swap the sashes out for any play or difficulties.

Regarding the window opening -- I had about 3-4 inches of room inside the opening to get an inside mount blind -- all my current blinds were installed this way, and I think it does look a bit nicer than an outside mount. Now after the Sheffields are in, and after the quarter round moulding went in -- I have maybe 1/8 inch of the inside frame. Unfortunately I'm going to have to go with the outside mounts now.

If the salesman would have known better, he could have recommended the jamb extender solution that Guy mentions.