Schuco Windows Screech when Opening

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
SteelersFan

Schuco Windows Screech when Opening

#1 Post by SteelersFan »

Schuco install started yesterday.

The upstairs was finished and they are working on the first floor today.

One thing I noticed is that that windows take a fair amount of effort to open and some of them make this horrible screech when you open them. Something isn't right with those ones.

Any ideas? Could they be off square?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

No, it doesn't mean it's out of square. It's just got a spot where vinyl is touching vinyl, usually at the top of the bottom sash where the tilt latches are. It's an easy fix.
I'd let the guys finish first, ...make a list of what you have noticed if you like and then they'll go around and adjust the small stuff.

Just some friendly advice to get the best installation possible, since I know how obsessed you've been with your project.:D If you are all over them while they are working, you will throw them off their best game.....let them work. This is true in most professions. There is nothing worse in this business than a customer who is all over you questioning your every move when you are installing. It makes the job take twice as long, and can mess with the installers routine. I'm sure Mike will assure everything ends up 100% for you.

SteelersFan

#3 Post by SteelersFan »

W4U,
Thanks, whats what the installers said this morning.

I am staying out of there way. I agree 100 percent about knocking them off there game, but thanks for the reminder.

BTW, they just put a 'wood' schuco window in. OMG, it is beautiful! It is that skinny one that I was all worried about and its one of the nicest windows I have ever seen. Matches the surronding 1800's woodwork perfectly. WOW!

Another comment. I can't believe I was so worried about the loss of glass area. It is not noticiable AT ALL. The white vinyl is beautiful. Low gloss, nice architectural bead....lovely.

I will post pictures soon.

Dave

chrisexv6

#4 Post by chrisexv6 »

I dealt with the exact same issue on my sliders. And I worried about the exact same thing (out of square or plumb).

All I can say is youd be surprised just how much difference a shaving of vinyl makes. Installer came back, scraped a tiny little bit off the piece that covers the gap between the sashes when the window is closed, and viola no more screech. Go figure!

I did say it hurt though, that was very expensive vinyl he was taking a utility knife to :)

-Chris