Storms...

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
booksat

Storms...

#1 Post by booksat »

Found the recent discussion on storms fascinating. I recently went through the process of making a similar decision and had posted a few questions and comments here regarding my concerns and experience in deciding between replacements or storms and window rehab.

I hate the look of the triple track storms, but decided that since I wanted to rehab my leaky double hung windows (my house has original windows from the 1850's) that I should get the best storms available. I ended up paying 205 a window for Harvey Tru Channels with low e. The windows were an utter mess because the house had been neglected for 30 years and the window rehab came in at $450 a window. This price included weatherstripping the frame and routing weathestripping into the sashes. With the slightest of maintenance there is no reason these windows cannot go another 100 years.

I live in a smaller town outside of Boston with many historical houses. Median house price is over 1 million. Virtually every older house with older windows chooses storms over replacement. Most chose Harveys despite the appearance, when they could afford any type of replacement, though some choose wooden storms. Certainly in the older houses, replacing with even top of the line vinyl would decrease house value, you also would rarely find even top of the line vinyl in new construction.

I just had an energy audit (because I am adding insulation) and the auditor was very impressed with the #s on the windows from his tests.

In response to a question regarding this issue From Tom Silva of This Old House: "If I were you, I'd buy single-glazed wood windows and protect them with good-quality wood or metal storm windows. (If you're anxious to keep your drapes and furniture from fading in the sun, both windows and storms can be fitted with single-pane, low-e glass, which will also give additional energy savings.) Together, single-glazed windows and storms, or single-glazed units with storm panels attached to the sash, provide energy performance comparable to a double-glazed unit at much less cost. And there's no chance of seal failures" http://jcgi.pathfinder.com/toh/tvprogra ... 02,00.html , also http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/knowhow ... 17,00.html

Keeping your old wood windows and using top aluminum storms can be the right choice for allocating resources, even if the performance quite as high as replacement. My old aluminum storms were recycled as will my new storms once they are no longer useful. Vinyl windows certainly have their role in providing efficiency and value, but they also consume more energy to produce and will consume energy and landfill to dispose of.

rippowam

#2 Post by rippowam »

Well said.