Vinyl vs. Fiberglass Replacement Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
cojo47

#61 Post by cojo47 »

Thanks Randy. That's pretty much the way I would have summarized the prior postings on this and other threads.

For us, painting (or natural wood look) is not important since we want the window interiors to be an off white. We just don't want the REALLY bright vinyl white, so we are confining our choices in vinyl only to those that are made in softer white tones. Our windows are on the small side - the biggest is 53" high x 33" wide; others are as small as 45" x 30", so we are concerned about losing glass due to heavy sashes and frames. That's our only reason for looking at fiberglass.

I've seen some very helpful posts by Window4(U)(including http://www.vinyl-replacement-windows.co ... ht=sunrise) that hold tape measures against framed windows, including a Marvin (though I don't know whether that was a Marvin wood window or the Infinity). For most of the vinyl windows I'm considering (e.g., Schuco Corona 4000, Simonton 5500), the sum of frame + sash as I measure it in the showroom runs about 3 1/4". A few are a bit slimmer; in particular the Huntington by Kensington, which measures about 2 5/8" total. For comparison,and much to my surprise, the very slim Marvin Infinity frame + sash measured about 2 3/4". (so my measurements differ from those of Window4(U), whose pictures seem to include another vertical strip of wood on the left?) Esthetically the Marvin LOOKS much slimmer, but in reality the difference between the fiberglass and the vinyl appears to be only about 1" on each border. Is my eye fooling me?

As a frame of reference, we've received quotes (for about 20 DH windows) on the Marvin Infinity of about $15,000, on the Schuco of about $11,500, and on the Simonton of about $8500. Comparing Marvin to Simonton, that's a big price difference for an additional inch of glass ....

Am I fooling myself by using my measurements as a guide? Or would the difference be greater because after installation (insert) some of the frame would be recessed behind the interior molding, thus decreasing the viewing area by smaller percentages?

Thanks to all who generously share their insights here!

GG

#62 Post by GG »

Dear FiberglassVinyl,

I am in a very similar situation (50 year old or so house in the South Bay) and trying to decide between Milgard Classic Vinyl and their fiberglass Ultra line. Would you mind telling me what you chose? And where you purchased them (if that is allowed)? Are you happy with what you got?

Thanks so much!

GG

Randy

#63 Post by Randy »

You're correct PrairieRider, I have only dealt with Milgard & Comfortline, as they have been the only fiberglass windows available here in Texas until recently, when the Pella and Marvin windows came in. The Pella Impervia is perhaps even worse than the Milgard and Comfortline IMO. I have not seen or handled the Marvin Integrity yet, but JScott has me intrigued.

I realize that Canada probably has a better handle on the fiberglass line, since that's where it began, however I am in Houston, TX, where the SHGC is far more important than the U-Value.

Fiberglass has great potential, I just haven't seen any manufacturer get it all together yet. They either cheapen it up with single wall construction, cheap balancers, poor painted finish, weak corner keys, bad compression jamb liners, weak nylon rollers, or a combination of all. Someday, fiberglass may be a great product that I will recommend to my customers, but not at this time.

cojo47 - I think you are over-concerned about the difference in frame thickness. Once they're in, you'll probably never miss the glass space. Especially for that much money. Just make sure that you get the sash reinforcement in the Simonton windows and IMO, upgrade the glass to the Super Spacer for around $22.00 per window.

Having ranted on fiberglass, I'm beginning to rethink vinyl as well. Seems like most of the larger windows we receive from Simonton or Alside (36 x 72), are bowed from the get-go. Nobody seems to use spacers around the IG units anymore, (saving 48 cents per window), and they don't care to ensure the sash is square before they set the IG.

Guess it's just symptomatic of our society; nobody gives a damn. 95% of the people just want to do the minimum they can get away with - no sense of pride in workmanship. It really is a shame.

cojo47

#64 Post by cojo47 »

PrairieRider - Thanks for the info. Are those Canadian fiberglass windows (Omniglass, Inline) available as insert replacement windows, or are they produced only for original construction? Would you know if they are sold in the Washington DC area? If so, do you know how their prices compare with the Marvin Infinity or top-of-the-line vinyl windows? And, germane also to this thread, do they offer longer warranties than the Marvin (20 years on glass, 10 years on window)?

Randy – Thanks for the advice, and the insights. We are tending towards your view that getting every last inch of glass area is less important than we may have thought; on the other hand, we remain sensitive to the esthetics of the sash etc, including color, shape, size, and design features.

FYI, we saw the Sunrise Restoration window today and were favorably impressed. Our choice seems to be coming down to the Marvin Infinity, the Sunrise Restoration, or perhaps the Simonton 5500, with the Kensington Huntington still in the running. By all accounts on this web site we really can’t make a big mistake with any of the first three; we’re less certain about the Kensington, which is in the running because of its slender, off-white frame and good specifications. A key issue to us is esthetic, and we like the clean, simple, wood-like appearance of the Infinity the best; by contrast, the Sunrise, which does have a very slender design, but a more noticeable spacer, offers more features of interest to us (top lift rail, and pull-down security stops to allow the window to open just a few inches), a better warranty, and likely better energy efficiency, at about $100 per window less than the Infinity. The Simonton or Kensington would save about another $100 per window, though we are not keen on this particular Simonton installer’s preference for installing from the inside and tearing up our 70 year old trim; we’ve listened to advice from installers on another thread and feel that "outside in" installation suits us better. Now it’s time to sit back, nail down the prices, and digest our priorities.

Re the original theme of this thread, perhaps it’s amusing that the Sunrise Restoration is vinyl with a fiberglass core. Best of both worlds …?

We continue to welcome feedback that might influence our selection. Many thanks and good cheer to all the generous people here who have helped us immeasurably.

PrairieRider

#65 Post by PrairieRider »

Randy - Intricate fiberglass profiles are quite expensive to manufacture. To stay within a certain price point certain manufacturers cheapen out on other components. Such as the ones you listed. I don't believe the large players are fully exploiting fiberglass inherent benefits. You may also notice that it is only the wood manufacturers who have jumped on the fiberglass boat.
The fiberglass windows in Canada have SHGC ratings as low as 0.16 (Whole window).
When you refer to spacers around the ig unit, are you refering to setting blocks? If so this is a big no-no and can lead to stress cracks.
cojo47 - They offer a limited lifetime warranty on the frame and 20 years on the glass. They are available as inserts but also can provide numerous different types of brickmolds and nailing flanges to suit different wall conditions.
I am aware of no dealers in the DC area that carry these windows. They do sell direct if there is sufficient qty's. However I would not purchase direct for renovation unless you are mechanically inclined and can deal with minor issues yourself. A good dealer is worth as much as the window they sell.
Also the upgrade to Superspacer would be a wise choice.

jjkon

Re: Vinyl vs. Fiberglass Replacement Windows

#66 Post by jjkon »

I have had the Pella Impervia windows about a year now and I am very happy with them. Through Lowes, I caught a sale and it brought the cost down close to what vinyl would have cost. I have been very happy with the windows.
Just to let everyone know. Fiberglass frames may be paintable but it is NOT recommended and even voids the warranty on Pella's Impervia fiberglass window frames. That was the only drawback. I dislike the dark frames inside the house. They really need to offer multiple colors for the interior!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#67 Post by masterext »

Thats strange how you joined the board today just to let everyone know about your impervia widows. The pella impervia fiberglass windows are one of the flimsiest and cheapest looking windows ive seen, it also has a horrible air infiltration rating.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#68 Post by Window4U (IL) »

He tagged up to a 10 year old post, did you notice? That's back before I had gray hair!

TheWindowNerd

#69 Post by TheWindowNerd »

For sure need to check the AI. I feel badly when people ask us for those.
Don't like the stacto pultrusion.