Need Recommendation for Replacement Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
scbuffington

Need Recommendation for Replacement Windows

#1 Post by scbuffington »

I have a large house and am doing a full replacement with vinyl windows. We have 26 windows total. I am looking for single-hung (mostly, there are a few picture windows) and want a slimmer frame. I don't like the big, bulky look of most vinyl frames.

I want a good quality product with a great warranty. But the more research I do, the worse it gets. Seems like you can find good reviews and horrible reviews on each and every window maker. I feel like I've fallen into window hell.

Can someone PLEASE recommend a good quality window? I know installation is just as important, but I feel much more confident in being able to find a good installer. And FYI, I am in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Thank you for any advice.

Windows on Washington

Re: Need Recommendation for Replacement Windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I will wait for randy from Ultra Windows to comment as he is in Houston. Based on the slimmer frame comment, thermally broken aluminum might not be a bad choice for you either.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Agree. Randy is one of the best.

scbuffington

#4 Post by scbuffington »

I've gotten a competitive estimate for a Vistamark window. Would love Randy's opinion on this one. Have also gotten estimates for Burris and Milgard, but given what I've read online, not willing to go with Milgard. Still up in the air on Burris, not tons of information out there about them.

Randy

#5 Post by Randy »

I’ve never heard of Vistamark Windows, so I looked them up. It’s a new manufacturer that just started less than two years ago. While everyone has to start sometime, and I hope they are successful, I could never recommend someone invest their money in a window manufactured by a company with no track record. Windows are just too big of an investment to take that risk. If their price is just competitive with Milgard and Burris, you’d be safer with either of those two.

There are Sunrise and Okna dealers in the DFW area, and I’d recommend contacting them. That way you can see what a premium grade vinyl window offers vs. the ones you’ve seen so far. If after comparing premium vs. mid-grade you decide to stick with mid-grade, you might take a look at NT’s lines - Energy Master, Presidential or Traditions.

scbuffington

#6 Post by scbuffington »

Thanks Randy, I appreciate the info. By the way, Vistamark is the same crew that just sold Home Craftsman Windows to PlyGem. From what I've read, Home Craftsman is a good quality window, which leads me to believe that Vistamark is as well. But, the window guy I got an estimate from also stated that with a new company like Vistamark, you take a chance because there is not a track record.

Randy

#7 Post by Randy »

I would respectfully disagree with your assessment of Home Craftsman, as flimsy vinyl frames and pocket sills don’t make for a good window. You really want to make sure you get a window with a sloped sill for good drainage, particularly in the DFW area where you regularly get hammered with toad choking rainfall amounts.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

"toad choking" , I love that there phrase.
I my market there was a start up company, "Affinity" that was making an OKNA knock off.
I did not like the ownership of the company because they have started others and they have failed too. They recently closed "affinity". So the risk to reward that we as long term dealers look at is valuable to consider. Glad I never recommended them to any of my customers.