Replacement Vinyl Windows - CONFUSED

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
whaas

Replacement Vinyl Windows - CONFUSED

#1 Post by whaas »

Hello,

I have a 1996 built home in the Milwaukee, WI area. The new construction wood windows (Semco) are obviously poor quality as I need to replace them already for effiecency and operating reasons.

So far I've had the following quoted and all "seem" to have a comprable product (fushion weld, low e, argon etc). I've included the price per window and can't for the life of me figure out who "really" has the better window.

At this point the window and nstallation seems like a crapshoot based on hours of posts that I've read on here and I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out who has the best value while providing a quality product and guarantee the labor and parts. So here we go...can anyone suggest who might be the best option whether is be a specific window, a specific company or both? I'm not looking for anything top of the line, just a mid-market window that will be around the $500 price point installed.

I was only able to figure out that Window World and the local installer have the Alside Sheffield, which seems to be a good window but it fairly bulky.

Champion:
Price per opening = $650 (don't know the model)

Popular Local Installer:
Price per opening = $475 (Alside Sheffield)

Sears:
Price per opening = $850 (don't know the model)

Window World:
Price per opening = $315 (Alside Sheffield)

Pella:
Price per opening = TBD

Thank you in advance for your comments. Hopefully this post becomes objective in nature.

JeffC

#2 Post by JeffC »

Whaas;
I'm nobody, but am at the end of my search for 20 DH windows in your $400 to $500 price range for "fushion weld, low e, argon etc".

I had a demo and bid by Champion. They have one product and only one product. It's a pocket sill window with a great warranty that to me seemed like a mid-grade window with foam injected frame for $$$$ bucks. Do a search on "Champion" and settle in for a long read here.

Window World came out and measured me for their renamed Alside Sheffield and quoted a very reasonable price but their installers and quality of caulk and wrap scared me. What good is low e, argon, super spacer, if it is installed crappily?

If you go with Alside, you should do great with the Sheffield at $450.00 including capping (a little higher if you only have a few windows).

Why go with Sears when you can just call Simonton and ask for a retailer in your area who can recommend installers? For $500 per opening you can absolutely get into the 5500 and maybe even the 9800!

av

#3 Post by av »

The only suggestion I can offer is to avoid Sears. Their first quotes are typically 50% to 100% higher than others for similar windows. It seems like their organizational structure is such that by the time everyone gets their cut of the profits, the price to be presented to the customer goes up through the roof. AFAIK, the work is subcontracted anyway.

Sears still makes sense for appliances, but not for any construction related work.

whaas

#4 Post by whaas »

Update on my window research / quoting extravaganza (again this is for the MKE, WI market). All quotes include removal, install, wrap, clean up etc.

Champion:
Price per opening = $650 (don't know the model)

Popular Local Installer:
Price per opening = $540 (Loaded Alside Excal.)

Sears:
Price per opening = $890 (Loaded Simonton 5500)

Window World:
Price per opening = $430 (Loaded Alside Excal.)

Pella:
Price per opening = $850 (Wood)

Local Installer for Simonton
Price per opening = $625 (Loaded Simonton 5500)

Ended up going with Window World based on the following:
- Best sales presentation on knowledge of install and product
- 12 month interest free financing
- Recommended a particular installer to make me more comfortable on the sub-contracted labor. Called the office and looked at jobs the installers did. All looked good.
- Pricing, warranties are clearly and professionally written.

whaas

#5 Post by whaas »

Something I forgot to add....

I actually really wanted to go with the Simonton 5500 but the problem is this...I called Simonton to get a list of installers that buy direct. They only knew of Home Depot and Sears and we all know they are overpriced.
So I am left going through a list of distributors to see if any install. There is no way I am paying a mark-up from a dsitributor and contractor.
The few Simonton distributors in my area do not install.

Alside was much easier to find those that buy direct vs. paying 2 mark-ups on the windows. It definitely shows in the quotes I got.