Replacement windows add beauty to your home...Add value to your home...Save energy while lowering your heating bills!
Call us at
1-800-399-4623

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Milgard vs. Simonton vs. Window Master
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:21 pm 

We are juggling quotes from two contractors to replace 10 aluminum windows and a patio sliding door on a 1960-built 2008 sq. ft. house in San Pedro, CA. The nearest ocean is on the other side of a hill about a mile away, so I don't think there any corrosion issues.

Some questions:

1. We like the thinner frame of the Simonton windows vs. the thicker, heavier looking Milgard Tuscany frames. Also, Simonton has argon gas standard vs. an extra cost for Milgard. However, the Milgard is about 10% lower than the Simonton quote. Which one is better?

2. We have heard some troubling things about the Simonton windows - made in Canada, warranty problems, lower quality, etc. Any opinions or confirmation of these things?

3. We are also considering Window Master replacement windows, but have not received a quote. Is this manufacturer worth pursuing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:48 am 

What you have been told about Simonton is pure rubbish. Most likely from a salesman who can't sell his product on it's own merit so he has to tear down the competition.

Simonton has 8 factories, all in the US.

Simonton was rated #1 by JD Power & Assoc.

We have carried Simonton for years and install about 6000 units every year. Simonton has been absolutely first rate in initial quality and whenever an occasional problem occurs they take care of it very quickly. Almost all window manufacturers should strive to produce as high a quality product, with as quick a turn-around time and with outstanding service as Simonton.

We had many problems with Milgard and they eventually they shut down the production end of their operations in this area. I'm pretty sure it was just a regional management problem as most on this site who carry Milgard windows report positive results with them in their region.

I've had no experience with Window Master.

Hope this helps.

Post subject: Re: Milgard vs. Simonton vs. Window Master
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:31 am 

sdgrant wrote:
We are juggling quotes from two contractors to replace 10 aluminum windows and a patio sliding door on a 1960-built 2008 sq. ft. house in San Pedro, CA. The nearest ocean is on the other side of a hill about a mile away, so I don't think there any corrosion issues.

Some questions:

1. We like the thinner frame of the Simonton windows vs. the thicker, heavier looking Milgard Tuscany frames. Also, Simonton has argon gas standard vs. an extra cost for Milgard. However, the Milgard is about 10% lower than the Simonton quote. Which one is better?

2. We have heard some troubling things about the Simonton windows - made in Canada, warranty problems, lower quality, etc. Any opinions or confirmation of these things?

3. We are also considering Window Master replacement windows, but have not received a quote. Is this manufacturer worth pursuing?

The statements about Simonton are just as Skydawggy says...BS. I wouldn't put all my eggs in the JD power Rating basket because that is mostly BS, however, the Simonton window line is very nice and I have been very happy with it.

Out on the West Coast, you are in Milgard territory and they have several nice windows. The Tuscany just went through one revision and is due to have another one there on the West Coast production. Either way, both pretty nice windows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:06 pm 

Thanks for the responses, I think we're almost at a decision. Sorry about the incorrect information about Simonton being made in Canada; I got that confused with the NuView magic-screen product.

Post subject: RE: Milgard vs. Simonton vs. Window Master
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:56 pm 

You've probably already made a decision at this point but Milgard windows are great and have the best warranty in the industry (lifetime on both parts and labor). If you don't like the Tuscany frame thickness you could go with the thin-profile StyleLine vinyl frame.

The windows would be made in at the Milgard, Simi Valley plant which would make service calls easy. You can check for pricing on this website where we bought our Milgard windows (Classic Vinyl) thewindowstore.com

We shopped for prices for about 2 months and this site actually had the cheapest price by several hundreds of dollars. Not to mention we didn't have to deal with some pushy sales guy. Once we placed our order we received a shipping confirmation via email and, sure enough, the windows showed up on our doorstep about 2 and half weeks later. The Milgard truck driver brought them all the way up to the house and stacked them neatly into our garage and thanked us for our business.

That's just my two cents. If you have any specific questions about the windows let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:03 pm 

Wow, what a professional sales pitch.
And you as a homeowner are willing to answer any specific questions about the products too? Double wow..

Post subject: Re: RE: Milgard vs. Simonton vs. Window Master
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:17 am 

oaktown wrote:
You've probably already made a decision at this point but Milgard windows are great and have the best warranty in the industry (lifetime on both parts and labor). If you don't like the Tuscany frame thickness you could go with the thin-profile StyleLine vinyl frame.

The windows would be made in at the Milgard, Simi Valley plant which would make service calls easy. You can check for pricing on this website where we bought our Milgard windows (Classic Vinyl) thewindowstore.com

We shopped for prices for about 2 months and this site actually had the cheapest price by several hundreds of dollars. Not to mention we didn't have to deal with some pushy sales guy. Once we placed our order we received a shipping confirmation via email and, sure enough, the windows showed up on our doorstep about 2 and half weeks later. The Milgard truck driver brought them all the way up to the house and stacked them neatly into our garage and thanked us for our business.

That's just my two cents. If you have any specific questions about the windows let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

The “Spam” reference is way to kind here; were talking about mis-representation which from a consumer perspective is not a good sign at all. Caveat emptor here for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:29 pm 

We sell both Milgard and Simonton, but much less of the latter. Not because we don't feel Simonton is a better window but because of the pricing structure from Norandex where we have to buy Simonton.
Milgard has made improvements in their windows, but are no match for the better Simontons.
Here in Wisconsin it gets windy and rather cold and Milgard can't seem to get it through their head that the Tuscany doesn't cut it with it's high air infiltration test. The numbers are adequate for the west coast but not up here. Another issue is the single strength glass in this part of the country......that Milgard man in the Milgard shirt and Milgard truck is gonna be busy if they don't make some changes.