Patio Door: Fiberglass? Vinyl? Hybrid Fiberglass/Vinyl?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
kcator1

Patio Door: Fiberglass? Vinyl? Hybrid Fiberglass/Vinyl?

#1 Post by kcator1 »

Hi. I'm needing to replace my old wood sliding patio door. I live in southern Wisconsin and the door is on an east-facing wall. I decided to stay away from wood, and got estimates on 3 other types of doors. It's a hard choice as each salesperson is good at convincing their product is the best. The estimates I got were:

1) Vinyl: Simonton Prism Inovo brand; U-Factor .28; SHGC .26
2) Fiberglass: Marvin Infinity brand (Ultrex Pultruded); U-Factor .28, SHGC .33
3) Hybrid of Fiberglass/Vinyl: Sunrise Restorations brand; U-Factor .21, SHGC .22?(unsure)

I heard from two of the salespeople to stay away from vinyl due to their warping tendencies (which makes me VERY worried since I replaced all my windows with Simonton Prisms a few years back after reading good reviews). A comment was also made that fiberglass breaks down from sun exposure over time.

I've read good things about the Sunrise patio door, but also read that fiberglass is good and Marvin is also a good product. I'm leaning towards the Sunrise as I'm getting triple paned plus a wood-look interior for less money than the Marvin. However, no matter what product I buy, I'll be spending around $4g (give or take $500). This is a lot of money so I want to make a wise decision. Reading the 'supposed' pros and cons of each product is daunting. Any comments on personal experience on any of these products will be very helpful and much appreciated!

WindowsDirectCinci

Re: Patio Door: Fiberglass? Vinyl? Hybrid Fiberglass/Vinyl?

#2 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

The Sunrise Restorations door is an excellent product, but just to clarify it is a vinyl product not composite. The Vertical rails do have a fiberglass reinforcement to add to the rigidity so that is possible where the confusion was. As to the vinyl can warp statement, just about any material can warp. There is just as likely of a chance that a wood window will warp compared to a premium vinyl. But I can guarantee you vinyl won't rot like wood. I have all wood windows in my house and I'd venture to guess that the sashes of all the double hungs have warped 1/8-1/4". When I replace them it will be with a premium vinyl product. Fiberglass can break down over time as stated, just look at any 10 year old basketball goal in the driveway. Here is what I'd add, all of those statements are geared to put fear in the consumer so the salesman can make his product look superior. Of those choices I'd choose Restorations.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

What part of Wisconsin?

I agree with WindowsDirectCinci. The only doors in my home that I have issues with are wood. Any material can warp and based on the questionable quality of the wood strand these days, more often it is the wood products.

The Inovo is a nice step in the right direction for that manufacturer, but I would agree that the Restorations is still the nicer unit. Performance wise, its not a fair comparison for the Infinity, the Restorations is superior.

kcator1

#4 Post by kcator1 »

Thank you SO much for your replies, WindowsDirectCinci and Windows on Washington! I am going with Sunrise Restorations for sure. Your information/knowledge makes me feel comfortable with this decision. :D I'm looking forward to getting it - it's going to be so much more efficient than my old wood one! Thanks again for your help.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sounds like a plan.

Be sure to include some before and after pictures.

Good luck with the project and keep us posted.