Replacement Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
SWA

Replacement Windows

#1 Post by SWA »

Hello:I live in PA. I have gotten 2 quotes to replace some windows. Crusader Camelot vinyl with energy package and Alside Excalibur Vinyl Clima Tech. Can you recommend one over the other? Thanks.
Last edited by SWA on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

EcoStar Remodeling

Re: Replacement Windows

#2 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

I'd recommend you keep shopping. Not really familiar with the Crusader from Northeast Building Products but I don't really care for sashlite windows. Alside Excalibur isn't considered a premium window either. A search for reviews on the Excalibur should help you decide if it's for you.

Some of the brands most on here agree we like are made by Sunrise, Okna and Softlite. I would look for a dealer who carries these brands as they all have a long history of excellent quality and customer service.
Last edited by EcoStar Remodeling on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SWA

#3 Post by SWA »

I'm not looking for a "premium" window. Just something decent as we don't plan on living in the house long term. Does that change your opinion?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

each of those aforementioned brands have a few different series. You will still be getting quality opposed to something like excalibur which is not quality. i have homeowners all the time that tell me 'anything is better than what they have and they only plan on living in the home a few years". truth is, whether you want to or not, you will still be paying for a premium window. most homeowners who try to save some money are never happy with the amount of air leakage from their new (cheaper) windows . it may be an improvement but the home is still uncomfortable. sometimes it happens a bit later but it always does happen. this causes the homeowner to start the replacement window process all over again essentially paying more than double the amount they would of paid had they originally went with a quality brand. another issue with cheaper windows is the lower grade vinyl that is utilized along with poorly designed extrusions that ultimately cause warping.
expand your search.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with the above. The brands mentioned as well as HiMark have stellar reputations for quality and performance. In addition, they all offer a "good, better, best" product selection, so you should be able to find a window that fits your budget while still being very well designed and constructed. On the other side of the coin, you have manufacturers that have multiple products but even their high end is mediocre at best. Those are the guys that you want to stay away from.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

+1
You can get a much better performing window than the two mfg you mention.
I can unstand that you do not want to over spend or over improve for the resell value.
Maybe you will find someone who balance those concerns with you.

Thermal Sash Windows

#7 Post by Thermal Sash Windows »

I have installed tens of thousands of windows since 1985 and have always come to the conclusion that if a homeowner uses a better quality window, even if they are planning a move, the new buyer will recognize the better quality and you will get far more in resale value over a low end window replacement. That's not to say you need to go crazy! There are many windows of high quality with entry level products that will meet both your desire for a fair price and a quality window. Check out the OKNA 400 and you will see what I mean. What prices were you quoted for the windows you saw?

SWA

#8 Post by SWA »

I was quoted between $500. and $600.00 per window.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

There are many variables that goo into pricing, but I'd say that it would not be out the realm of possibility to find a premium window in that range. The products that you were quoted would not fall into that category.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Not knowing all the specs, I too think you can do much better considering your budget.