Laminated glass vs. tempered glass

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
sbbarat

Laminated glass vs. tempered glass

#1 Post by sbbarat »

Is there a significant difference (other than the price) for getting KeepSafe glass vs. tempered glass for security purposes? We're looking at replacing windows which have easy access from our deck, and were concerned with the potential security issues. I understand the laminated glass raises the price quite a bit - just trying to figure out if it's worth it or overkill.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Laminated glass vs. tempered glass

#2 Post by masterext »

tempered glass is safety glass, not security glass. it can break, just not into razor sharp pieces.
laminated glass cannot be penetrated due to a pvb film sandwiched between the panes. think of a car windshield. it also cuts down dramatically on noise.

EcoStar Remodeling

#3 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Laminated glass is 2 pieces of glass with a clear laminate heat bonded between the 2 panes. The advantage of laminated glass is it works very well for security, because it is nearly impossible to break thru it from an impact and it is very good at reducing sound transmissions. Tempered glass OTOH does not provide for security. Rather, it is used in installations where there is the possibility of someone being injured from contact with the glass. Tempered glass, when impacted, simply breaks into small rounded pieces whereas non-tempered glass will break into sharp jagged pieces that have the potential for causing serious injury.

Bottom line, if you want security against a break-in, and security from impacts, go with laminated glass. If you want protection against injury due to contact with the glass, go with tempered. Tempered glass does not provide much protection against a break-in.

sbbarat

#4 Post by sbbarat »

Thank you. That is the clearest explanation I've been able to get!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

most of the higher quality window companies that offer laminated glass have them custom cut to size and use at least a .30 mm thickness for security. lower quality companies purchase their laminated glass in bulk sheets and cut the class to size themselves. this can cause quality control issues down the road unless the said company practices stringent quality control. also, many lower quality companies use .15 mm pvb thickness.

sbbarat

#6 Post by sbbarat »

Would Kingsford Windows be considered a lower quality company?

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Is Kingsford a manufacturer or the dealer? A google search resulted in a dealer in NC that sells the Softlite Imperial LS. If that is the case, that is actually a very good window.

sbbarat

#8 Post by sbbarat »

Yes, they are the dealer and the Imperial LS was the window they quoted us on. We're just trying to decide if we want to go with the laminated window glass. I now know to ask as to where they are getting their glass and the quality of it.

masterext

#9 Post by masterext »

i am sure you are getting quality if you are dealing with the imperial LS. they use ppg if i'm not mistaken. i would not worry about it.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

The quality of that window is high across the board. That said, the laminated glass will be pricey. Its primary benefit imo is in areas where noise is an issue. It does have the properties mentioned above, but if someone wants to break into your home badly enough, they will just find an alternative method other than the glass... or they will just cut or tear through it.
If security is a primary concern, an alarm system or a dog would be far more effective. :D

sbbarat

#11 Post by sbbarat »

I really appreciate everyone's input here. It's making the decision a little easier. We live in what I would consider a safe area, and I think the laminated may be more than is necessary.
p.s. as to the "guard" dog, our Lab thinks anyone (even someone breaking in) would be there just to play with her! :)

EcoStar Remodeling

#12 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Is tempered glass required by code on this installation or do you just want it as an extra safety measure?

masterext

#13 Post by masterext »

I agree with HomeSealed however... most burglaries are not done by professionals and therefore adding laminated glass as well as an entry door that is reinforced for security can dramatically protect your home. most burglars want to get in and out quick and know nothing about bypassing sophisticated alarm systems. trying to break through laminated glass can be done but its a bit noisy and time consuming, not something a drug addict wants to deal with.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

sbbarat wrote:I really appreciate everyone's input here. It's making the decision a little easier. We live in what I would consider a safe area, and I think the laminated may be more than is necessary.
p.s. as to the "guard" dog, our Lab thinks anyone (even someone breaking in) would be there just to play with her! :)
You would be surprised at how effective a dog is as a deterrent. Even if she is nothing but friendly, a potential intruder does not know that.
I'd skip the lami, go with regular glass unless tempered is required by code, or if you have some really rambunctious kids playing around by those windows on a regular basis.

masterext, I agree 100% that most burglaries are crimes of opportunity. That's why most do not involve breaking window glass at all. It is far easier to find a home with unlocked windows, or just kick in a door or basement window... I have some experience in law enforcement in a past life. :mrgreen:

sbbarat

#15 Post by sbbarat »

My husband was concerned about security. They are not required by code. We'll see after all the math is done. Again, thanks for all the responses!