Windows with snap in sill trim

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
rayh78

Windows with snap in sill trim

#1 Post by rayh78 »

Suggestions on a vinyl replacement window brand.

When installing replacement windows without wrapping the trim, I have used a few brands and all have a L shaped trim piece under sill that you first mount to the old windowsill. So windows sit on the edge of this little trim piece. I always considered this a weak link to a install. So a lot of times the whole weight of the window is on this 1/16” piece of vinyl and of course some on the mounting screws in the sides to the old frame.
Always did not like this but noticed more with a 5 ft. picture window with more weight. A proview norandex brand.
I could not get a brand name but have seen one that this trim piece is T shape and snaps onto a groove made in the window. It seems stronger and better way to do it since it is more part of the window.

Thanks for any comments

Windows on Washington

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Most windows have an accessory channel around the perimeter that allows for the addition of snap in pieces such as the "sill angle" that you are referring to.

Very little of the weight is ultimately on that piece of trim seeing as the inside section of the window frame is actually resting on the interior side of the sill.

That piece you mentioned is not designed or really required to be structural as it is merely covering up the gap between the difference in window sill slopes.

rayh78

#3 Post by rayh78 »

Windows on Washington wrote:Most windows have an accessory channel around the perimeter that allows for the addition of snap in pieces such as the "sill angle" that you are referring to.

Very little of the weight is ultimately on that piece of trim seeing as the inside section of the window frame is actually resting on the interior side of the sill.

That piece you mentioned is not designed or really required to be structural as it is merely covering up the gap between the difference in
window sill slopes.

Sorry to disagree.
Just about all the ones I have used dont have a snap in.
Which includes All of the norandex, simtion and certainteed line. And a few from the big box stores years ago.
And most of the weight is on that piece as it holds the window off the sill.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

rayh78 wrote:
Windows on Washington wrote:Most windows have an accessory channel around the perimeter that allows for the addition of snap in pieces such as the "sill angle" that you are referring to.

That piece you mentioned is not designed or really required to be structural as it is merely covering up the gap between the difference in
window sill slopes.

Sorry to disagree.
Just about all the ones I have used dont have a snap in.
Which includes All of the norandex, simtion and certainteed line. And a few from the big box stores years ago.
And most of the weight is on that piece as it holds the window off the sill.
No need to apologize.

You are still incorrect in this situation. The Simonton window (5500) I am looking at right now does, in fact, have an accessory receiver groove.

Norandex doesn't make their own window, they re-badge another existing line. In my case, it is Simonton Prism series.

If you talking about the piece that goes on exterior of the window to conceal the gap between the two dissimilar slopes, most of the weight is not supported on that. For that matter, little to none is.

When the window is installed, that snap in sill extender/sill angle, is usually snapped in after the window installation is nearly complete. How exactly is most of the weight supported on that piece if it is done after the fact?

rayh78

#5 Post by rayh78 »

Have not actually installed a Cetainteed or Simonton for about 10 years. Was using west windows for a short while, with a snap in, but their quality control was terrible. Been using Norandex/Reynolds Proview for about 9 years.
Next time at Norandex I will have to look at Simonton better. But Norandex said they don’t have and cant get a snap sill extender for any of the about 6 brands they sell. And could not find on a web search for Simonton. And I guess would have to be made for the exact groove size.
I have ask a few times and all sales people at norandex say the window sits on and is supported by this cheap little L piece trim.
The problem I have is that it is almost impossible to do it different.
The L piece trim gets installed first and nailed to the old wooden windowsill. And there is only about 1/8” groove under window it sits in. So you have to install first.
If you add shims or support blocks under window I guess I could measure and cut the trim piece then take back out window and install that trim piece. But the problem is with only a 1/8” deep groove you don’t have much to play with and would be hard to measure that exact.
Even when I wrap windows I still like to have my metal go completely under the window for at least a 1”.

Suggestions?
Thanks

awsdan

Sill Trim

#6 Post by awsdan »

Wrap your sillnose first, then install the window unit.
Shim the sides and screw the window to the old jamb.
(The weight of window is setting on highest point on the sill)

Do a little more homework, I have never seen a replacement window that did not come with sill trim, some mfgr's consider the head expander optional. Not all sill trim pieces install the same way, check that out.

On the windows I install......there is no reason the sill trim piece cannot be installed after the window is installed.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

awsdan is correct.

Wrap the sill first. Set the window in place and shim and square up. Screw in and lastly ad the sill angle before caulking.

rayh78

#8 Post by rayh78 »

Windows on Washington wrote:awsdan is correct.

Wrap the sill first. Set the window in place and shim and square up. Screw in and lastly ad the sill angle before caulking.

This would mean the sill angle would not be attached to anything as manfu recommend, just caulk in place. Right?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#9 Post by Window4U (IL) »

This is one of many ways to deal with sills. This one eliminates the need for a sill extender. Just make sure the metal goes at least an inch under the window sill. Use minimal expanding foam to fill under sill.
On casement windows, awning windows and picture windows wood sill support is recommended before wrapping.