Don Young vs Silverline by Andersen

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
proteus

Re: Don Young vs Silverline by Andersen

#16 Post by proteus »

Randy wrote:The Don Young windows are significantly better IMO. Silverline windows are low-end and should be avoided. Whoever is bidding them against the Don Young is inflating the price, as the DY windows should be more expensive.

If you are putting these windows into a home that you intend to occupy for some time, and the budget allows, you might consider upgrading the glass to Cardinal's Low-E366 for an additional $35.00 per window (approximate).
Don Young is optioning a Guardian climaguard 55/27 glass and also have a optional cardinal stainless steel .750 spacer .29 u factor without grids for the series 5400 window they are saying it is equal or greater efficiency the 366 glass .
just different glass manufacturer they are all very simular just different coatings for different applications or climates look at the guardian site for some low-e glass types and comparative glass applications for different regions.

http://www.guardian.com/en/na/gp_009918.html

IE: LOF / libbey owens ford
PPG
Cardinal
Guardian etc.

Ace

#17 Post by Ace »

I realize this post is about a year late, but I'll post it anyway. We moved into a new house in December 2009, and it has Silverline windows. Shortly after we moved in, we began doing a general punch-list for the home and noticed 3 of the screens didn't fit. The builder had us contact a local lumbar yard who promotes Silverline windows. The lumbar yard guy said he would contact Silverline and that they would contact us. After a few weeks of not hearing back, I called the lumbar yard guy again. The next day we received a voicemail from Silverline, "Hi, this is Annabelle from Silverline. We would like to come out to your house on February 18 between 8 a.m. to 12 p.m." My wife and I both work, but I decided to take a day of PTO. Long story short, it took 8 months and 5 different visits, and an additional day of PTO to replace 3 screens. The Silverline guy came out twice to measure the same screen and had it "custom built" twice before it finally fit. Luckily my wife is a teacher and had the summer off, which spared me from taking even more PTO.

Just when we thought the headache was done...In late August and early September we had heavy rain storms. Guess what? Three of our windows leaked. We began the calling process the next day. It is now November 4, 2010 and we still haven't had a Silverline rep come out. My wife has the day after Thanksgiving off and we were able to schedule for then...but now there was a message on our answering machine this morning stating that that day wouldn't work for Silverline and they would like to reschedule. Really?! My wife has asked to speak to a supervisor twice but has yet to be connected.

We lived in our last house for almost 7 years and I don't even know what kind of windows we had. Do you know why? Because we never had any problems. Although I'm only a sample of 1, in my opinion, Silverline's quality and customer service are both crap.

TRCar54

#18 Post by TRCar54 »

I also want to make a comment based on my experiences with Silverline windows. Maybe someone will Google Silverline quality and find themselves here.....hope it helps.

We live in the Southeastern part of Massachusetts.

Our double hung windows are the 3000 series and the casement windows are the 7550 Series.

The house was built in 2007/2008 and the casement windows have been nothing but trouble. We haven't used the double hungs very much. A large picture window seal failed early on and it leaks cold air badly at the bottom interface.

Problems included:

Sagging grids
Most latches installed upside down.
Failed seals

I could go on and on in more detail. Suffice it to say....run away.