Still looking for Replacement windows- hpw about Hurd?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
CT_HomeOwner

Still looking for Replacement windows- hpw about Hurd?

#1 Post by CT_HomeOwner »

I posted a while back about possibly getting some Anderson replacements, I need about 26 double casements. The price for RBA was astronomical, but a local contractor quoted Anderson replacements at about $30,000. I know and trust a different contractor and he has quoted me the same price about $30k for Aluminum clad Hurd windows (and he really likes them, due to his experience and relationship with the dealer).

Any opinions on Hurd vs Anderson (Not RBA!)? I am a little leary of the Hurds due to the fact that the windows I am replacing are wooden Hurds from 1985. Most rotted and all leak. I am hearing that that is common for any window in New England winters. but I wanted to get some more opinions before rejecting them. Again the contractor is good and confident in the Hurds.

Thanks

JScott

Re: Still looking for Replacement windows- hpw about Hurd?

#2 Post by JScott »

The new Hurd products are miles above Andersen. Afterall, there head engineer left and has been overseeing the Hurd R&D program for some time now.

Yes, the EPA pulled Penta out of the wood preservative so wood products from 1985 have an inherent flaw as they are more prone to rot.

CT_HomeOwner

#3 Post by CT_HomeOwner »

JScott wrote:The new Hurd products are miles above Andersen. Afterall, there head engineer left and has been overseeing the Hurd R&D program for some time now.

Yes, the EPA pulled Penta out of the wood preservative so wood products from 1985 have an inherent flaw as they are more prone to rot.

Thanks I didn't know about the Andersen connection, interesting.

buddy11

#4 Post by buddy11 »

Have you looked at Marvin Infinity?

CT_HomeOwner

#5 Post by CT_HomeOwner »

buddy11 wrote:Have you looked at Marvin Infinity?
I haven't looked at them, I hear Marvin is very good. But now I think I am through looking at different brands I just need to finalize on the Hurd vs Andersen. I am hoping to get more opinions on the new Hurds.

Thanks

buddy11

#6 Post by buddy11 »

CT_HomeOwner wrote:
buddy11 wrote:Have you looked at Marvin Infinity?
I haven't looked at them, I hear Marvin is very good. But now I think I am through looking at different brands I just need to finalize on the Hurd vs Andersen. I am hoping to get more opinions on the new Hurds.

Thanks
I like the hurd better than Andersen. Good luck!