Consumer Alert! Zen Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
vicwiser

Re: Consumer Alert! Zen Windows

#16 Post by vicwiser »

Thanks HomeSealed, I went back and re read the information. It said they don't handle "matters that are or have been litigated". I will do that right away!

HomeSealed

#17 Post by HomeSealed »

Its a start. Hopefully this will all get resolved expeditiously for you. :D

uncle eddie

#18 Post by uncle eddie »

vicwiser wrote:HomeSealed, I didn't contact the BBB because I couldn't then have an attorney and I think I will need one. I contacted the Ohio Attorney General last July---one year after not getting results. They informed me a few weeks ago that, Zen's lawyer pointed out, because I rented the house to a friend ( while waiting to sell my current house), I am considered a small business. So the lawyer with the Ohio Attorney General can't help me after all.

I am a bit paranoid to even choose a lawyer. I have contacted several and was advised to file a claim with my insurance company for the damage first. He said, they might even consider the work done as damage. It really is that bad. Then I am supposed to contact him for the remainder and my $1000 deductible.

As I wait for the insurance claims department evaluation, the contractor is still out there being recommended by Zen. Especially because of the sleepless nights, I decided to do what I can to share my story to give anyone else a more balanced view.

I found Zen online and thought they were legitimate after reading:
http://homerenovations.about.com/od/win ... indows.htm
I didn't find this site at that time. It might have made me more cautious and perhaps I would have listened to my instinctive thought " it was too good to be true".
"CONSUMER ALERT! Zen Windows" certainly got my attention, but there is no explanation for the alert.
Zen did get my windows installed in the time frame they promised. Dan did ask for payment before the work was complete though and that should have been a warning. But I bought the sales pitch that claims not to be a sales pitch.

Dan does a "You tube video" and explains that a contractor who has his profit, has no incentive to do anything---I thought that his integrity and ethics would be enough, but he is right about himself.

He has said:
I have been involved in the Home Remodeling Industry for four decades. I have an unblemished reputation"

"The comments left by this client is completely fabricated."

Actions speak louder than words: I invite anyone who would like to visit the site and view the work to contact me---and there are a couple of pictures on the Zen Face Book page.
Any updates? I've been hearing a lot about this company lately, much not positive

vicwiser

#19 Post by vicwiser »

Ah yes, the home owners insurance would NOT cover the damages. Because I even asked about it, they felt I was a poor risk for hiring the bad contractor and raised my deductible. You guys gave me a hard time on here---but the "bad girl" letter from the insurance company actually hurt my feelings! I had to pay an "expert" to write a report for this "mess". He does mostly work for insurance companies and he (as a side conversation) said the Ins response was typical. He and I have the same Ins. company---I was wondering if there was a better one.

vicwiser

#20 Post by vicwiser »

I wrote a long response but it did not appear---so the short--- YELP filters out unauthentic reviews.
When a review is removed to settle a lawsuit it can leave consumers vulnerable---but some cities have court sites and checking the Company and the Owner there is revealing.

vicwiser

#21 Post by vicwiser »

The BBB has nice people, but can't do anything if a Company cancels mediation at the last minute. If the consumer then proceeds with a lawsuit, it appears that the matter is resolved.
Because a complaint has been filed, a review can't be written. I am skeptic of an accurate rating of a Company by the BBB. Other review sites don't check that the Company has the bonding and license they claim---or other "facts". There are people who are paid to write good reviews for Companies and places to buy awards---gotta love the "Ethics in Business Award".

Windows on Washington

#22 Post by Windows on Washington »

There is probably a balance to be struck between all of them. We personally have a couple of bad reviews and in one situation, the person never met with us and was leaving a review for someone else (although not specifically named in the review) and the other situation was a complete fabrication. I met with the client in this case on 4 occasions and nothing of what they said was on the contract or ever stated. I tried to engage the reviewing entity and have zero recourse, even with all of the documentation on both accounts.

In our market, the BBB does vet the company, check for insurance, meet with the owners (in our case) and is generally more involved.

HomeSealed

#23 Post by HomeSealed »

vicwiser wrote:The BBB has nice people, but can't do anything if a Company cancels mediation at the last minute. If the consumer then proceeds with a lawsuit, it appears that the matter is resolved.
Because a complaint has been filed, a review can't be written. I am skeptic of an accurate rating of a Company by the BBB. Other review sites don't check that the Company has the bonding and license they claim---or other "facts". There are people who are paid to write good reviews for Companies and places to buy awards---gotta love the "Ethics in Business Award".
No hard time intended Vic, I think at everyone had sincere intentions to help.
On the various review sites, I'd agree with WoW that a composite "score" from multiple sources is best eliminate any funny business. They all have at least some conflict of interest, be it large or small. Most do their best though to give both sides a fair shake.

uncle eddie

#24 Post by uncle eddie »

vicwiser wrote:The BBB has nice people, but can't do anything if a Company cancels mediation at the last minute. If the consumer then proceeds with a lawsuit, it appears that the matter is resolved.
Looks like zen is having a lot of issues these days, sorry for your bad experience. It's a sad commentary that some homeowners would rather buy windows from someone that has never even seen their home than risk an overzealous sales guy from another company. What they are doing is exploiting fear for personal gain, and claiming to be the good guys in the process.
Be careful about trusting one reference though like these other guys said. Yelp is the worst in my opinion. I've seen companies with 3 dozen complaints still get an A+ on bbb, but the rating is the same whether the company is advertising or not. I've heard firsthand stories about yelp where they have "allegedly" extorted contractors and removed 5 star reviews when they canceled advertising. Pretty slimy stuff

vicwiser

#25 Post by vicwiser »

uncle eddie wrote: I've heard firsthand stories about yelp where they have "allegedly" extorted contractors and removed 5 star reviews when they canceled advertising. Pretty slimy stuff

I am so sorry to hear that! Yes, many sources and loads of homework for any project!