Jeld Wen Windows - Noise Reduction

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jardindecollis

Jeld Wen Windows - Noise Reduction

#1 Post by jardindecollis »

I am considering Jeld Wen Pozzi replacement windows. My number one important reason for replacement is noise reduction. I recently read a review for "Jeld Wen Zip Pack" windows where the reviewer said it made ZERO noise reduction. Does anyone have any experience with noise reduction with the Pozzi collection? Should I expect a different result? (they are wood with aluminum clad outside)

Oberon

Re: Jeld Wen Windows - Noise Reduction

#2 Post by Oberon »

In order for a window to have any chance at blocking unwanted noise, it has to be tight. Unfortunately, replacement sash are not always as tight as needed to have a significant effect on noise attenuation.

The original frames are often out-of-square and not in the best condition which does not lend itself to the kind of results that you want to see.

If your only concern is blocking unwanted sound, then there are options available that may or may not involve window replacement.

A bit more specific information on what you want (separate posts asking different questions) might help a bit in responding to your questions.

tru_blue

#3 Post by tru_blue »

jardindecollis wrote: . . . My number one important reason for replacement is noise reduction . . .
The coments I have on noise reduction apply to Jeld-Wen as well as other brands. The person who commented that Jeld-Wen's Zip Pack made "zero noise reduction" might have been correct, if he meant it made no difference. Noise reduction with new windows depends on a lot of factors. People assume new double and triple glazed windows will be quieter than their old windows. New double glazed windows could actually be "noisier" than the windows you have. And triple glazed windows will not perform much better than double glazed windows depending on the glass system used. Do not believe someone that says triple glazing is *significantly* better than double glazing when it comes to sound reduction. It's not necessarily true! If each layer of glass is the same thickness (say, for example, a double or triple glazed window with double strength glass), each layer of glass is screening out the same noise frequency because they're all the same thickness and are all placed close to one another. I've even had people comment to me over the years that their new double glazed windows let in more noise than their old single glazed windows that had a storm window. To make a window system block out noise *significantly* better, there are several variables that will help.

1. Laminated glass. This is the single most important variable. When someone buys a window that is specifically designed for noise attenuation (such as if you live near an airport) it always should have laminated glass. If you don't get laminated glass when you're looking for excellent sound-reducing windows, then you've wasted your time and money. My recommendation would be to get laminated glass in an insulating glass unit. Laminated glass is highly effective in reducing noise. It's produced by permanently bonding two pieces of glass together with a tough plastic interlayer between them (like on a car windshield). It also blocks 99.5% of the sun's ultraviolet rays, protecting furniture, etc. from fading. So the outer layer of your glass in the insulating glass would be the laminated glass (usually about 1/4" thick overall), and the inner layer of the insulating glass would be a standard glass (usually 1/8" or so). Most manufacturers offer laminated glass.

2. Glass thickness. It's ideal for the glass layers to be of different thicknesses. Multiple layers of glass with the same thickness are all working to block out the same sound frequencies. If one glass layer is 1/8" thick and one layer is 1/4" thick, the window will be more effective at reducing outside noise because they will be reducing some different noise frequencies. Again, laminated glass is thicker than "normal" glass because it is actually two pieces of glass bonded into one.

3. Spacing glass layers farther apart aids in reducing sound. So a 1" overall insulating glass would be better than a 5/8" insulating glass if everything else is equal. That's why if someone had a single glazed window with a storm window, and that storm was about 2" away from the glass of the single glazed window, it could potentially be better at sound reduction than a modern double 3/4" glazed window.

4. Air tightness. A super-glass sound-reducing window will not perform well at reducing sound if the window is drafty. It must be installed properly and not allow sound to go around the sash or frame.

5. Insulation. An often-overlooked variable is the surrounding area around the windows where they connect to wall. A low-expansion foam insulation is great for insulating around the window; it blocks noise, air, and cold. Insulating around the window should not be overlooked. Also if the existing frame is left in place and a replacement unit is going into the existing frame, then one has to consider the space between the replacement unit and the existing frame as well as the space between the existing frame and the rough opening/wall.

Incidentally, there is a way to measure sound performance. The ability of a window to reduce outside noise is commonly measured in 2 ways - either via its Sound Transmission Class (STC) or via the Outdoor-Indoor Transmission Class (OITC). The higher the number the better the window is at reducing sound. A noise reduction of 10 decibels represents cutting the noise level in half. So a rating of 25 (which is 2-1/2 times greater than 10) means that the product reduces the outside noise by approx 25 decibels, cutting the noise in half 2-1/2 times, or cutting it by over 80%.

If memory serves, double and triple glazed windows (non-laminated) typically have an STC of about 25-30, while laminated is closer to mid 30s but can be as high as 40. Getting it up to 40 can be pretty costly though.

So to sum this up (it's already getting pretty wordy), look for a laminated glass window (about $100 more with many brands). The brand you're looking at has this available on some of their offerings. Since your #1 consideration was sound reduction, I would suggest that what is most important is the type of glass used, and to be specific "laminated glass."

jardindecollis

#4 Post by jardindecollis »

Thank you so very much for that lengthy reply. That was so VERY helpful. :D