What to do about replacing windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Richard

What to do about replacing windows

#1 Post by Richard »

We need to replace the windows in my house. What I have now are ESP aluminum tilt-out (bottom only) windows (series 100) that were installed when the house was newly constructed in 1992.

I'm not even to the place where I can decide what window to get because I don't exactly know how to remove/replace the old windows.

The windows I have were installed from the outide. From what I can tell, taking out the entire window would involve either cutting back the vinyl siding, or removing portions of the siding altogether, in order to get at the nailing flange used to hold the window in place. If I can avoid all that work and just replace the sashes, I'd rather do that- time and money-wise.

So, the biggest question I have right now is am I going to have to replace the entire window, or is there a replacement-sash alternative? Anyone know?

Any information anyone may have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

jsmomo

Re: What to do about replacing windows

#2 Post by jsmomo »

i don't consider replacing your windows a diy project. a true window installer does not cut or remove your siding to get the aluminum window out. do yourself a favor and call a pro it maybe more costly upfront but you wont have to pay someone to fix what you have destroyed. i don't know of any kind of sash replacement alternative.