Advice on final selection, please :)

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
eas

Advice on final selection, please :)

#1 Post by eas »

Hi, I've been using this resource extensively for the last month and think I finally am ready to make a decision on my windows...but I could use some input.

Based on posts I've read, as well as web research and having someone come from each company I have been considering and give me a quote, I have gravitated to Marvin, Eagle and Loewen as the final possibilities for my aluminum clad wood window replacement project. I have 9 casements, and 3 awnings under fixed glass windows to replace and/or install into new openings. (For clarity, 6 will be in replaced in existing holes and 6 will be new holes, one of which is through poured concrete wall, the other five new are in a 2 x 6 framed wall.)

The casements are all 2-8 x 5-0

The awning under fixed are 2-8 x 1-8 under fixed 2-8 x 4-6

I'm looking at about 12,500 installed for the Marvins, and the Loewen and Eagles are both within 100 bucks of $10,500.

These all seem to be very good windows, with maybe the Kynar finish on the Marvins being a little better than the standard finish on the Loewen and eagle, but the Eagles can also be purchased with an anodized finish on the exterior which would seem to be the absolute best wearing finish. (Although I'd appreciate comment on that point)

All are of course extruded aluminum on the cladding...the Eagle seems to be thickest at 0.055, vs. the Lowewn at 0.050 and the marvin which says it will be no thinner than 0.045, but in the grand scheme of things I'm not sure a difference of 0.01 from thickest to thinnest in thickness is significant.

I have to admit I'm leaning toward the Eagle and the Loewen to save a grand or two, but I can afford to spend the extra if it would be adviseable to do so.

If I were to choose between the Eagle and the Loewen, which would be the wiser choice? The extra colors standard on the Eagle do not come into play, as all three windows have an acceptable standard color for this install. I don't know if the standard Douglas Fir construction of the Loewen is any better than the standard pine of the Eagle and the Marvin.
Hardware is acceptable on all three. No between glass blinds or such things are going to be purchased. All three have their version of Low E glass.

Each company recommended a different installer, and the install costs are remarkable similar for all three, so the cost differences appears to be completely in the window prices.

Anybody willing to put out a recommendation in this scenario?

Thanks!

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

If your looking to save a few bucks go with the Eagle window. I would suggest going back to your Marvin salesman and tell him what you just told us. Then tell him to match the Eagle price. Then it's on like Donkey Kong!!! If they won't match the price the Eagle windows will do a great job!!

eas

#3 Post by eas »

Thanks, Guy...We'll see what the Marvin salesman has to say :)