Is this the best I can do on Milgard QuietLine

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
inciardi

Is this the best I can do on Milgard QuietLine

#1 Post by inciardi »

I am looking at replacing 14 dbl hungs - ranging from 28x38 to 32x54 in size. I have spoke with different vendors about Renewal, CertainTeed BMII, and Milgard Quiet Line. I have heard numbers from $8,000 installed for the BrynMawr II (a number which almost seems reasonable in light of what I am about to say) to $14,000 installed for Renewal.

I live adjacent to a noisy traffic route and feel the Milgard Quiet Lines appear the most likely to address my noise reduction goal. I have read on this board that I should expect to pay between $1,000 and $1,500 per window installed for the QuietLine window.

Having friends who have gotten decent vinyl windows installed for about $500 per window, I am left wondering what it is about an additional lite, an extra thick lite, and a layer of laminate that can double the installed cost of a vinyl window? From what I can tell, the additional thickness and laminate layer do not add considerably to the cost of the window.

For heavens sake, we are only talking about vinyl, glass, and laminate here not gold. At a quote of about $1000 per window, its hard for me to feel like I am not being taken to the cleaners for about a $250 premium per window.

I am all for people making a decent living at their trade, but a paying a grand per window gives me pause. I have read on this forum that somewhere around 200-300 per window is a fair installation price. If a decent vinyl runs 250-300, how can a quietline be much more?

Id like to see getting the quiet lines installed for around $800 per window,
can someone tell me if this seems reasonable?

Much appreciated.

MikeD

#2 Post by MikeD »

Not sure if you already knew, but the Quiet Line has "two" windows in one. In other words it's two double hung windows in one unit. So that could explain high cost, IMO. I've looked into this but found out that Milgard windows are not available in my area.

E-Z

#3 Post by E-Z »

inciardi

Like Mike stated above the quiet line employs way more material than a single window so cost obviously will go up. I am sure if you ask your contractor for a breakdown of the cost he would make the same amount of money installing some Milgard Classics that some Quietline's.

i would get 3 estimates from different dealers to see if it's industry standard. Also consider what area are you in i am in the s.f bay area and here the cost of doing business is crazy so want it or not the consumer gets it.

I feel what you are saying about it being just glass and Vinyl not until the last month have i understood you customers posting here like i have now that i am in the market for several home improvements like central air and heat, roofing and landscaping as we are getting ready to remodel our residence. i am using my own advice that i have been giving here, i am getting 3 estimates, talking to the contractors, checking their records..etc.

No doubt price is an issue but i am finding myself more concerned with the quality of the products and the qualifications of the contractors(including references). I just thought i put in my 2 cents...

E-z

www.eazywindows.com
E-z
E-z Windows

inciardi

#4 Post by inciardi »

thanks for the replies.
I hear you about the quality. It is of key importance. Price is always a consideration, but not as important as getting the job done right the first time. For that I am willing to pay a premium. The trick is evaluating which vendor that will do the trick.

It is unfortunate that there are many folks happy to take your money and only give mediocrity in return (even when you pay a premium).

I have had 3 quotes, but not all on the milgard quietlines. There are only a few vendors in the area here that sell them and also have experience installing them.

More research...
:)

earwax

#5 Post by earwax »

Look at the Milgard web site and do a search for recognized dealers. That will help you narrow your search down a bit and might help you find a dealer you were not aware of. http://www.milgard.com/dealer-locator/