SHOULD SIDING BE CUT BACK??

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
boarder

SHOULD SIDING BE CUT BACK??

#1 Post by boarder »

Looking for a little advice.

Just got a quote from a very reputable vinyl window company.
When asked about how they trim the outside they basically brake a 3" aluminum trim with the return ending at the existing vinyl siding. The finish it with a bead of caulk which I assume would be rather large to fill the void between siding and aluminum trim.

Shouldn't the siding be cut back to butt directly up to the new trim? I would think that the way vinyl expands and contracts, that this caulk joint would fail pretty quickly and allow a water intrusion.

advanced_energy

Re: SHOULD SIDING BE CUT BACK??

#2 Post by advanced_energy »

if i am following you correctly here,the company is going to make a 3" lineal around the window and create a J pocket with the alluminum. if thats what they are doing it looks real sharp. i should know,thats what we do. we use the least amount of j-channel possible. creating trim with alluminum requires some skill .

advanced_energy

#3 Post by advanced_energy »

real quick, make sure the siding does NOT butt up against the alluminum, the alluminum needs to have a pocket created in order to accept the siding. caulk will not cut it. in my opinion.

boarder

#4 Post by boarder »

Thanks for the response.
They are neither creating a pocket or adding j-channel. They are intending to bend a u-shaped piece of aluminum that is fastened to the window and the laps over the siding. Then where this laps over the siding apply a caulk bead. Problem I see is siding will now go under the trim with a caulk joint that varies in width according to the "Z" shape of the siding. If joint fails(it will)
there is a direct path for water to follow the siding right into window framing.

advanced_energy

#5 Post by advanced_energy »

that may be fine..it seems that they are making a slot for the siding to go into. the trim will cover part of the siding? if thats the case then fine..ask them again. i just don't see anyone only butting siding against trim and covering the seam with caulk. i highly doubt that they would do that.

buddy11

#6 Post by buddy11 »

boarder wrote:Thanks for the response.
They are neither creating a pocket or adding j-channel. They are intending to bend a u-shaped piece of aluminum that is fastened to the window and the laps over the siding. Then where this laps over the siding apply a caulk bead. Problem I see is siding will now go under the trim with a caulk joint that varies in width according to the "Z" shape of the siding. If joint fails(it will)
there is a direct path for water to follow the siding right into window framing.

This doesn't sound right at all. That's a big void to try and fill. I suspect they are in fact doing one of two things.

1. They are making a "J" channel which will be hidden by the casing or,

2. Butting the "U" casing up against the Aluminum siding. Aluminum siding can be caulked to a casing trim because it doesn't move all that much.

I suspect it's #1. Please ask and get clarification. If they don't make a "J" channel under the window casing you could have potential problems with water. The "J" channel is designed to shed water away from the window and needs to be there.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

And if the top is not up under a soffit then a drip cap needs to go on top with the drip cap being under the old tyvek paper(or fanfold).

JScott

#8 Post by JScott »

The technique used depends on if you are replacing a vinyl or aluminum window or if you are having an insert window installed into an existing wood window frame. Please specify for us.

boarder

#9 Post by boarder »

Thanks for all the advice.
They are replacing old aluminum single hungs that have no exterior trim, so my vinyl siding stops at j-chanel right at the window.
Salesman told me they would not cut back the siding. Very good advice. Thanks to all.

JScott

#10 Post by JScott »

Pull the siding loose or partial removal and install window with nailing flange, flash, etc...reinstall/secure siding. Anything less will leak.