Looking to replace 14 windows in Delaware

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
bluehenwindows

Looking to replace 14 windows in Delaware

#1 Post by bluehenwindows »

I'm replacing 14 windows in a ranch house in Newark, Delaware and I'm hoping to get some information on what widows to get and to also get info on any reputable installation companies.

Budget is about $9K, so figure $650 per window installed. I've gotten one quote from a company for $14,700 for their Great Lakes Lifestyles windows. Of course, the salesman said he could put some "personal discounts" in so that the price was dropped to $14,300. He later called back and said we just missed a "buy one, get one half off" sale that ended that weekend (the appointment was on Monday) and that he could give me that price instead...and it would come in at $14,000. He then said there was a $20 rebate we could mail in and get an additional $280 savings.

Is this how all sales people act? Simple math tells me that if I am saving only $700 on a "buy one, get one half off" sale then the windows are only $200 each (I buy 7 at half price - $100 - and save $700). So I am supposed to believe that is will cost nearly $13,000 for the installment portion of the 14 windows?

Then, I got told I'd have to pay an extra $65 per window because they are original windows (pre-1978), so they have to deal with potential lead issues.

I am looking for a decent window that will block drafts, help insulate, and survive for 20 years. They don't have to look great...they just have to function.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Delaware Mike

Re: Looking to replace 14 windows in Delaware

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Not all home improvement outfits act like this or train their sales guys with such old school "Tin Man" methods, but unfortunately there are many of them out there. All of the management and sales guys with these outfits work on commission based pay schedules, thus their first swing is like a Ryan Howard grand slam attempt. They hope that their victims take the bait, hook, line and sinker!

I know of the outfit that you're dealing with and it would best serve you to obtain several more estimates. By researching previous posts on this board you may find that you might desire to look at specific brands and models of windows. Once you have narrowed down some brands you can generally contact those manufacturers and someone in customer service can possibly have their regional sales rep contact you and give you a list on authorized dealers that operate with integrity and are easier to work with. Price will be a lot better than the heavy hitters that we hear about all day long on the radio and TV.

I've worked on many of the ranchers that you are referring to in Newark and I don't think $1,000 a window is good gauge for what a quality vinyl product should cost you. Even with Lead Safe work practices and options. Without seeing your project at that price we typically see a full-frame tear out and a wood clad window which would cost us dealers double the price of vinyl to install and more interior trim work.

EcoStar Remodeling

#3 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

I would click on "Delaware Mikes" "get a Quote" button. I doubt you will find anyone with higher standards or greater professionalism.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

There's Mike! I concur with Ecostar, I would definitely get in touch with Mike if you are looking for someone who will provide excellent service, and respect your time and intelligence.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Click on Delaware Mike's name for sure. You won't find a better person to deal and do business with.

bluehenwindows

#6 Post by bluehenwindows »

Thanks folks...I've clicked on Mike's quote feature and will give him a try. I've read some of his posts, and he seems far more informed than most of the sales people that have come through my door.

EcoStar Remodeling

#7 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

That's because Mike is a true professional. You have placed yourself in very good hands. I am sure you will be very satisfied.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Another thing that I like about DM is that he is also an installer. He knows what the heck he is talking about.