Style vs. Function Wood Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Elsbeth933

Style vs. Function Wood Windows

#1 Post by Elsbeth933 »

My house was built in 1939 and one of its most attractive features is its beautiful windows. Wood, double hung with the top section separated into 6 individual panes of glass, a picture window divided into 20 panes, and casement windows w/6 panes. The frames are in good shape--no rot--the exterior was covered by aluminum. The problem is that after 70 years the insulation benefit of these windows is virtually non-existent and they also allow in more moisture than is good for the long-term health of my home. Obviously I need to replace them, but how do I balance the style I so love with energy-efficient function?

I'm not opposed to vinyl or fiberglass, or with the exterior being covered in aluminum, (the house has aluminum siding--but it's only 30 years old) but I want wood and I want the grids to look like the original ones. I can probably live with the windows being a single pane of glass w/an outer grid, as long as it looks good. And I am very picky about what looks good.

I live in Salem, Oregon so the weather is relatively mild--lots of rain, a bit of snow or ice, some wonderful wind storms, and summer temperatures in the 80's and 90's. My other option is to have old-fashioned storm windows installed and that wouldn't be as efficient or attractive.

Are there manufacturers that can give me the options I want as well as excellent quality? Anderson seems to have what I want, but I hate to be limited to just one company. One friend suggested I get the original windows modified to be double-paned--is this feasible enough for me to investigate or more trouble than it's worth? Another consideration is ease of installation; I have a contractor who has replaced windows but it's not his specialty. Using him might save me money (we do barter exchanges) but will this mess up the warranty or otherwise cause problems?

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

pondscum

Re: Style vs. Function Wood Windows

#2 Post by pondscum »

Here in Boston many of the houses are older and there are companies that specialize in restoring and updating older wood windows as well as providing new windows built to the same historically-correct styles. Probably you can find a contractor familiar with these issues in any large city with older housing stock. If you are not so concerned about preservation and historical accuracy and just want a nice-looking new clad wood window built to modern energy-efficiency standards, you can get them from Marvin and Pella as well as Andersen, and probably some other brands with regional distribution in your area. I was just looking a bit at Trimline on their web site, myself -- from the reviews I've dug up on this board and elsewhere, it sounds like they are considered good quality but not priced as high as the Marvins.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Pella, Eagle , or Marvin will all be able to provide a SDL grid that will keep the style.
You will need to pick a glazing package that is right for your climate, your local window pro will be able to help you.
Equally important to the product selection is the installer. I would look for an owner operator who is still installing.

pondscum

#4 Post by pondscum »

I just want to echo the comments about the installer. The guy I've been talking to is the president of a family-run business, has been installing windows for 20 years, and has been very helpful and willing to go out of his way to find me windows I'll be happy with. Seeing as though he's president of the company, he'll also be bottom-line responsible for installation and customer service after the install. Some of the other companies I've talked to have sent out people to give me quotes who are just salesmen, who probably have little or no actual experience putting windows in, and who will probably just disappear once they make a sale and collect their commission. I think this is a case where dealing with a less chain-oriented and more hands-on business is the way to go.

Elsbeth933

#5 Post by Elsbeth933 »

Thank you.