What are my options for a ~$500 replacement window?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
ljalter

What are my options for a ~$500 replacement window?

#1 Post by ljalter »

Hi there -

We are in central Texas and need to replace 20 year old builder grade aluminum single pane windows. They are really awful.

Our house is only worth about $250k, so we need to stick to some sort of budget for this. We have 31 holes and 34 windows with two large half round windows and a couple that need tempered glass due to door proximity. We have a white limestone home, so there will be extra cost for stone work (I am told).

We got a quote from Anderson for ~$30k (Renewal , I think?) and Window World came out and gave us a quote of $18k (4000 series, DH, low-e, screens, lifetime breakage warranty, etc. - we weren't interested in the $189 or whatever model). Obviously, these are two ends of the spectrum, but we simply cannot justify spending $30k on windows for a house in this price range. I would LOVE to stay as close to the $18k as possible, which is around $500 per window.

We would like beige windows because the white appears too stark against the creamy limestone colors (IMO). We have minimal direct exposure thanks to tons of trees.

What windows will likely keep me in the $500 range installed? (And that includes the two half moons and extra cost for stone work, which means the standard double hung windows need to average a bit less than that.) I have researched extensively on Window World and can appreciate both sides of the discussion on the company. I know theirs aren't *great* windows, but our budget doesn't allow for great windows. :) Our local franchise has an A+ rating with the BBB, lots of positive CitySearch and Angie's List reviews, and has been in business since 1959, so I feel comfortable with them as a *business* - which is a good start. I am just wondering what else is out there that can compare on price.

Thank you for any guidance!

Laura

PS. There are plenty of WW critique threads on here, and I read them all, so please no bashing. I know the product isn't great and likely many franchises do poor install jobs. Caveat emptor! :)

Windows on Washington

Re: What are my options for a ~$500 replacement window?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Your options are pretty wide open based on that budget. Vinyl windows can be very regional so what is available can vary from state to state.

I do know that Simonton (popular brand and well built) is available in Texas.

There is a poster/professional on this board by the name of Randy that is from Texas and far more familiar with the offerings in the Lone Star state.

I would wait until Randy leaves his feedback. He is a good guy and knows his stuff.

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

ljalter, as WoW said, Simonton is a good choice, although the price point you've established could be tight on the 5500 or 9800 series (in tan). NT Windows and Don Young Windows both manufacture a fairly good vinyl window within your budget as well.

edwulf

#4 Post by edwulf »

Due to shade, you may not benefit as much from Low E glass where efficency is concerned but you will easily save money long term if you go with tax credit glass and take the 30% credit for the value of the product off on your taxes for 2009. I'm not close to Texas so I couldn't, intelligently, give you any options. However, seeing that you want to stay inexpensive, some of the independent window companies may deal with Atrium branded windows. Some of these products are made in the Dallas area and the company has its headquarters in Dallas. Do yourself a favor, do your research and make your decision based on quality, value and style based on your desires and don't prioritize based on brand name. Unless you are selling the house soon, go with the product and service that is going to make YOU happy. :D

Randy

#5 Post by Randy »

"Due to shade, you may not benefit as much from Low E glass where efficiency is concerned"

Shade or no shade, you need Low-E glass, and Low-E366 would be a great choice for Texas. I also disagree on using Atrium windows.

ljalter

#6 Post by ljalter »

Thanks for your thoughts, all. We have a sales guy from a family-owned local business coming tonight to show us the Simonton. Before I set the appointment, I gave the most basic info and the price we need to stay under and he said he's fairly confident he can do it.

I am really, really hoping I like the Simonton product more than the Window World 4000 model. It was pretty junky, IMO, but you get what you pay for...

Hopefully, I can come back and post my estimate to make sure I am right on.

Cannot wait to get the windows in! Thanks again!

Laura