Milgard fiberglass vs. Marvin fiberglass?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
pgalea

Milgard fiberglass vs. Marvin fiberglass?

#1 Post by pgalea »

Hello,
We've decided to go with a fiberglass window with wood interior in a single or double hung style to replace 20+ windows on our old spanish home.

Between Milgard and Marvin fiberglass options, which would you choose?

Also, we're looking for sound insulation, durability, quality, and temp insulation -- the basic factors.

Thanks so much for your advice.

buddy11

Re: Milgard fiberglass vs. Marvin fiberglass?

#2 Post by buddy11 »

Milguard doesn't come this far east but I have seen the Marvin and it's spectacular IMO. I have heard good things about the Milguard too. Sorry I can't be more helpful :(

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

As someone that used to sell Milgard's fiberglass windows, I prefer the Marvin Infinity. Marvin really did a great job designing their product.
Last edited by Randy on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Marvin...hands down.

Will91

#5 Post by Will91 »

I looked at both and the Marvin is much, much better - at least aesthetically. Are you looking at the all-Ultrex or Infinity? Unfortunately, at least for the all-ultrex, my Marvin dealer told me they don't make them in special shapes such as half rounds or trapezoids.

JScott

#6 Post by JScott »

I have used both. I currently use the Infinity. Either casement I recommend. The Infinity doublehung is the better of the two. The re-engineered Milgard double-hung has not been in the field long enough to give an accurate assessment. It did take 3 or more years to come back to the market.

Infinity usually only deals with the cream of the crop installers while Milgard does not give a rats x"%! who installs them as long as the company is buying product. Some installers are okay but this is an area of concern.

You probably will not go wrong with either one. The install will be the key factor. Good luck.

:mrgreen:

pgalea

#7 Post by pgalea »

thanks for the replies. A couple follow up questions for you :D

First, to those of you who said Marvin was better - why? is it the product quality durability, warranty, design, or what?

Also, despite saying we're going with Fiberglass/wood, we just had an Andersen Fibrex renewal salesperson in our home to prepare a proposal. So, we're now considering this product along with Fiberglass. From what I read on this site, Fibrex seems like a great product, albeit pricey, overall. I do like that they handle the installation and they seem to stand by both the product and installation should there be any issues. Seems like other companies will blame the manufacturer or installer to avoid taking responsibility.

So my follow up question for you: How would any of you compare Andersen Fibrex against Marvin Fiberglass?

Note, we have basic rectangular shaped windows -- they'll mostly be double hung and some casement. We don't need the fancy features, just a solid, dependable window that performs well and looks good inside our 1920s Spanish house. And a company that will honor their warranty.

Thanks again. Your feedback is invaluable!

pgalea

#8 Post by pgalea »

By the way, if you could respond with your profile/background (homeowner, window installer, salesperson, etc) that would be appreciated. Knowing where your perspective comes from is also very helpful.

Randy

#9 Post by Randy »

Milgard pulled their double hung off the market at least twice to correct design problems that should have been caught the first time. Compression jambs that allowed air and water to pass through, screens that allowed bugs in, etc.....

Marvin is a company that enjoys a great reputation for quality control. The Marvin Infinity has a far superior design, and to my knowledge, hasn't had repeated issues with paint finish, cracked fiberglass, etc....

"From what I read on this site, Fibrex seems like a great product" - I'm surprised that you've come to this conclusion from reading this site, since none of the pros here like the product much. RBA is really just a vinyl window with leftover sawdust added to enhance the appearance, and possibly add a small amount of strength. To be sure, it is a good looking product, but very mediocre in performance, and way over priced. IMO, it really doesn't compare to the Marvin Infinity or to the Milgard Ultra.

Milgard offers a stronger warranty than Marvin, and from my experience, homeowners typically wind up using it.

pgalea

#10 Post by pgalea »

Thanks Randy, I really appreciate the background on Milgard and Marvin.

You mentioned you're a "pro" -- in what capacity do you work with Windows. Are you an installer? Thanks again.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

pgalea wrote:Thanks Randy, I really appreciate the background on Milgard and Marvin.

You mentioned you're a "pro" -- in what capacity do you work with Windows. Are you an installer? Thanks again.
I think in Randy's case, it means that he works "pro"-bono. Is that incorrect Randy...?? :lol:

Yes, Randy is a "pro" in every since of the word. He is superbly familiar with all of the best brands, installation methods, and best practices for this industry.

Randy

#12 Post by Randy »

It does seem that way at times WoW. :wink:

I sell windows.