wood clad replacements

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
1964splitlevel

wood clad replacements

#1 Post by 1964splitlevel »

I want to replace my 1964 double-hung tdl's and have decided not to go with vinyl. I'd like wood inside with clad exterior. I'm in Raleigh, NC and the choices I have seem to be limited to Pella, Anderson, Peachtree, and possibly Marvin and Hurd if I want to go to a distributor and then arrange for installation. I went to a home show a week or two ago and briefly spoke with reps from both Pella and Anderson. The Pella rep was obviously a salesman with no practical experience. He was a cocky guy about 21 years old and said the Pella window would be $800 to $1200 for a standard size double-hung. The Anderson guy may have been hired just for the home show. He didn't know much about windows or the housing market. He told me that Anderson was the choice of people with "quarter of a million dollar houses". Uh, that's probably the national average home price now. He had no idea what his windows cost.

I've read some on this board about clad windows, coil stock, extrusions, etc. I don't really understand the differences. Is there a good, better, best on the clad exterior between vinyl, fiberglass, and aluminum and how they're applied?

I know that vinyl replacements would be $385-$400 each installed for standard double hung in my area. Do wood clad windows cost two to three times as much?

TheWindowNerd

Re: wood clad replacements

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You could maybe also look at Eagle.
We sell Eagle, Pella , Andersen, Marvin, and Kolbe. I have 30 years experience.
You need to find someone like me in your area.
You should not put up with cockiness and ignoance.
Look for someone Installation Masters certified.
Call Pella and ask for a PCC(Pella Certified Contractor) refferal, they are independent of Pella and can install anything for you. Do not use the retail side of Pella, WME(window made easy).
As far as price goes it depends on the product(snap in or SDL, hardware, glazing, special size or stock size, prefinished or unfinished, etc), dificulty of install, and quantity. So, yes 2 or 3x.