thinking about a new patio door

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
pondscum

thinking about a new patio door

#1 Post by pondscum »

I'm really enjoying my new windows this winter! My whole house feels much warmer. But, now I'm noticing all the *other* sources of drafts in my house! :( The prime offender is the patio door. It is an Andersen Frenchwood inswing door, probably about a dozen years old. It's a very nice-looking door, but the install leaves a lot to be desired -- in particular, there is a gap of 1/4" or more between the door and frame on the latch side, and one almost as big on the top, and stuffing the gaps with weatherstripping only does so much. So, maybe replacing it will be my next home fix-up project.

Question #1.... Any reason to go one way or the other in terms of slider vs. another in-swing door? I'd find a slider more convenient simply because I have to move a chair out of the way every time I want to fully open the in-swing door, but how do they compare in terms of energy efficiency, long-term reliability, etc?

Question #2.... I do like the wood interior on this door. I could price another Andersen door, and I also know about the Marvin wood/Ultrex, but are there other brands I should look into as well?

Thanks much for any tips. :)

Windows on Washington

Re: thinking about a new patio door

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Why don't you see if the door can be tuned up first before removing and replacing it?

A good door installer will tell you in if the door is beyond saving.

TLHWINDOW

#3 Post by TLHWINDOW »

What he said.

If the door is in good shape, a good "door guy" can tune it up, or remove the door and reframe for the same cost as typically installing a new door, without the new door cost.

I am about to replace some glass in a French door. Its a fraction of the cost of a new door.

If you like the existing door of course.

pondscum

#4 Post by pondscum »

Hmmm. I took a closer look at the door and I now think it probably dates from 1990, rather than 1998 when previous owners had a bunch of other renovations done on the house. (The glass has a faint label printed in the corner that seems to say 2-3-90 and the printed instruction sheet for the hinge adjustments also has a 1990 copyright on it.) Anyway, the glass units in the door are clearly not up to the same standard as my new windows. It looks like dual-pane with 3/8" spacer, and is probably just clear glass with air fill. My thinking was that if I'm going to spend time and money on this, I might as well spend time and money to put in a door that's better-insulating and not just better-fitting....

BTW, I have already played with the hinge adjustments myself, as the door used to rub and stick on the bottom so I raised it up a bit. But, I don't think it can be adjusted to make the door bigger or the frame smaller. :?

TLHWINDOW

#5 Post by TLHWINDOW »

Then I think it just comes down to weather you want a Slider or French door.

If you like a slider, but want the wood look, there are different options for that. They make Vinyl sliders with "replica" wood interiors. There are also some companies that make wood sliding doors. One door company that comes to mind is Neuma Doors.