HELP - Extreamly Frustrated / 8-10 weeks, nope 16-17 weeks

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
JamoDenver

HELP - Extreamly Frustrated / 8-10 weeks, nope 16-17 weeks

#1 Post by JamoDenver »

After much research, three bids, and calling several references I signed a contract with a reputable local replacement window company on 10/10/09. They said that it would be 8-10 until they would be gin the install. This was longer than the other bids but I went with the Marvin Infinity line and that’s how long it takes for manufacturing and shipping.

On 12/10/09 (9 weeks) I followed up and they said that the job is still in production and it will ship the first week in January and they will be calling the week of 01/04 or 01/11 to set up the installation date. Yesterday I had still not heard from them so I called. They said that they will have to call Marvin and get back to me. Marvin said that they will ship when they have a full truck, it could be two more weeks.

Now I am looking at an install date of the second or third week in February (16 or 17 weeks from signing the contract). To me this is ridiculous and unacceptable for the following reasons:
 Time frame is 16-17 weeks rather than the ETA of 8-10 weeks.
 Lack of follow-up from the company.
 This is a big job, 33 windows, and $27,000 total bill.
 I paid a $6500 deposit upon signing the contract.
 Winter will be half over at the time of installation.
 I will never recoup the estimated savings in utilities for Dec, Jan, and Feb.

Do any professionals or customers have any recommendations on what I should do with this extremely frustrating situation? Try to recoup lost utility expenses and interest on my $6500. Request a discount on total price. Cancel the job (not really an option due to the contract). Any advice would be much appreciated.

Skydawggy.

Re: HELP - Extreamly Frustrated / 8-10 weeks, nope 16-17 weeks

#2 Post by Skydawggy. »

I'd write a letter and send it certified to the comapny owner or GM. I would explain the problem and vent your frustation. I'd also ask they discount the job and suggest that in the future they give the customer a more realistic time frame. Keep in mind this may not have been the dealers fault. They would have no reason whatsoever to delay the job. They are in business to complete jobs ASAP and delays also cost them money.

Good Luck!

JamoDenver

#3 Post by JamoDenver »

Thanks Skydwggy, yesterday the Account Manager that I spoke with was going to relay my frustration to the owner which happens to be her father, it’s a family owned and operated business. I asked that the owner call me after she briefed him on the situation. We will see if I get a call back.

TLHWINDOW

#4 Post by TLHWINDOW »

Sometimes its really not the installers/companies fault. I have been behind the 8 ball a few times with manufacturing mistakes and issues.

Although I have run into companies that have a minumum load requirement (Like Gorell), ususally it is not real high. 33 windows seems like a good number to ship to someone.

If you are really concerned, call Marvin themselves. They may not tell you everything, but they may let you know if there is hold due to shipping.

jozkid

#5 Post by jozkid »

Hmmmm, this sounds suspiciously similar to the latest comment from jwciv2 (Marvin and Pella and RBA, oh my). She, too went with Marvins and is having a delay in delivery. I wonder what's up with the factory end. Maybe you two should chat....

JamoDenver

#6 Post by JamoDenver »

Interesting, according to this interview from April 2009 they have not laid off but reduced labor hours. This may be the cause for slower production.
http://www.wbz.com/topic/play_window.ph ... d=3619798

Jwciv2 appears to have a similar timeline and dilemma as you mention.

JScott

#7 Post by JScott »

shipments received 21 to 28 days like clockwork throughout 2009 and current.

Never more. On occassion 18 days!

:mrgreen:

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#8 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I had to wait 4 months for Marvins last spring. But, it was the supplier who finally admitted he lost the order sheet. It had nothing to do with Marvin.

JamoDenver

#9 Post by JamoDenver »

Well, no call from the owner yesterday or today. Tomorrow the Account Manager is supposed to speak with Marvin and I am eagerly awaiting the promised "status update immediately after she speaks with them". We will see?

DenverWindow

#10 Post by DenverWindow »

JamoDenver wrote:Well, no call from the owner yesterday or today. Tomorrow the Account Manager is supposed to speak with Marvin and I am eagerly awaiting the promised "status update immediately after she speaks with them". We will see?
One thing to consider. Many companies have experienced unseasonably high volumes this year. The 2009 rush to get the 1,500 tax credits is likely taxing manufacturers and window contractors in your area as a result of the recent rush to get windows in for the tax credit. Some companies are experiencing volumes late 2009 like they've never seen before.

Ultimately, try to find the honest answer to the problem. If you feel like you've been unfairly treated, you might review the situation to possibly request a new quote from another company (also likely to have some delay before they can install) or negotiate a discounted price due to the lack of energy saving $$'s.

Goodluck, let us know how it goes!

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

That is a long time but I am sure the company will offer a reasonable resolution to your experience.

jwciv2

#12 Post by jwciv2 »

My delay is with the installer, not Marvin. Once I got to the bottom of it, Marvin received the order and it's scheduled for delivery tomorrow, about 18 day turnaround from Marvin.
If you'd like to take this to PM, I can give you more details; seems like an unfortunate situation and I don't want to bash anyone on a public forum

JScott

#13 Post by JScott »

Here, let me add to your frustration.

Effective on orders placed now---change in warranty---Lifetime warranty to original purchaser- reverts to 2/10/20 at resale which was the former warranty last week.

JamoDenver

#14 Post by JamoDenver »

JScott wrote:Here, let me add to your frustration.

Effective on orders placed now---change in warranty---Lifetime warranty to original purchaser- reverts to 2/10/20 at resale which was the former warranty last week.

I am not following you? Do I get less of a warranty due to the delay in the installation of the job? Thanks for the clarification.

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »