Replacement Sliding Doors

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
indydave_2010

Replacement Sliding Doors

#1 Post by indydave_2010 »

My sliding glass door has lost its seal and fogged over. I have received a couple of estimates for replacing the sliding glass doors and it occurred to me that I may be able to simply replace the glass. The door frames are metal and in good shape. Can I get the same energy efficiency by simply replacing the glass? Thanks.

Delaware Mike

Re: Replacement Sliding Doors

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Not unless you're in a Southern Climate. Those aluminum frames conduct the outside temperature to the inside of the house quite easily. Also, those older doors usually don't have as much weatherstripping as the better sliders that are produced currently. I would be curious as to what the cost would be for the tempered insulated glass unit with low-e and argon plus the labor to swap them out for you would be? If you do this yourself and accidentally break one of the new insulated glass units trying to glaze it into the old sash, where would that put you cost wise for the project. Also, you get the tax credit on the new door, I'm kind of thinking that might be sketchy with just the glass?

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

By the time you figure the cost of the glass and the labor to de-glaze and re-glaze the new glass, you will be better suited just investing your money in a new door.

indydave_2010

#4 Post by indydave_2010 »

Thanks for the input guys. I live in Indiana. I have seven panels altogether in three separate doors. Three of them are larger than normal (4' wide I think). I had an estimate on just replacing one of the big panels of $1300 so it would be $3,900 just for the big door. I also had two estimates for replacing all three doors, one for $6,500 and one for $9,500. Apparently the large ones need to be custom made. Now that I think about it, with the tax break, the new doors aren't that much more expensive, especially if it saves on my heating bill!