Any qualifying egress windows for 24" wide rough opening?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
brice

Any qualifying egress windows for 24" wide rough opening?

#1 Post by brice »

I would like to put in an egress window in one of my current basement bedrooms. The existing rough opening is 24" wide by 53" high, and currently has a "modified" interior door (which is very leaky and provides no daylight). Understanding that egress windows must have minimum clear opening dimensions of 20" wide and 24" high, and 5.7 square feet of open area, are there any manufacturers that make a window which would pass the egress requirements given my rough opening? My problem is that although my rough opening is 24" wide, I cannot seem to find a window manufacturer that makes a window with this dimension that would have a full 20" wide clear opening.

I am hoping I can avoid the hassle of enlarging the opening in my poured concrete foundation. Any help would be much appreciated.

Brice

Windows on Washington

Re: Any qualifying egress windows for 24" wide rough opening?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Most casements would either work or come close.

http://www.advancedwindow.biz/ makes a very nice tilt-n-turn casement that will give you maximum dimensions.

brice

#3 Post by brice »

Thanks for the reply. I checked with Advanced Window Corp, their tilt and turn window would have a 18" clear horizontal opening with a 24" rough opening- 2 inches short of meeting egress requirements.
Tilt and turn window 24" x 53" will have 18" of clear horizontal opening and 47" of clear vertical opening. In order to meet egress requirements window opening needs to be 26" x 53". Please contact me if you have any question.
Greg Zielinski
Sales Representative
Advanced Window Corp.
Does anybody else know of a window manufacturer which might be able to make a window which meets the 20" clear opening requirement given a 24" rough opening?

Brice

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

That is going to be a tough find. Even the most narrow windows out there are going to usually loose about 2.5" a side.

fenestrationman

#5 Post by fenestrationman »

I have a sample of an Atrium window and door casement. It has a total deduct of 3 5/8". With a 1/4" clearance between the window and the rough opening, the clear would be 20 1/8". May want to see if it is available in your area and verify that it will work for your opening.