Walsh Windows Tundra 6000 Series

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
tonycar17

Walsh Windows Tundra 6000 Series

#1 Post by tonycar17 »

Anyone ever worked with these? Manufacturer out of MN, generally sold there and a couple other states with similar weather (my home state of WI being one). Good performance ratings on the double panes and patio doors at a great price for me. U-Factor of .29, SHGC of .21 - use the Duralite Spacer system.......seem to be a solid window, but wondering if there are any pros out there that have worked with them and what opinions there are.

As always, thoughts are appreciated.

TC

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Walsh Windows Tundra 6000 Series

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I used to buy and install Walsh windows but that was in the 80's. It's not even the same product now I'm sure. Good company to work with I do remember.

kroc0005

#3 Post by kroc0005 »

Hard to find good info on these windows and came across this forum with posts over 7 years old on these Walsh Tundra windows.

An exterior contractor in business for 40 years has brought to me a quote to replace 4 casement windows and 11 doublehungs that are roughly 30" W x 60" tall. They are Walsh Tundra Triple Pane vinyl windows, all are replacement windows. The installer is currently being offered from Walsh (the window manufacturer) free upgrades to triple panes through the end of Feb 2017.

The quote is for about $12,500 - includes disposal and install - for these 15 windows ($833 per window.) Note that this quote assumes some additional new siding work too so the need to "finesse" windows out without hurting the adjacent siding would not be an issue.

Truthfully, I was expecting any quote - wood or high quality vynil - for this many windows would put me in the $30,000 or more range. I dont want to get screwed with a "deal that sounds too good to be true..." that's already happened once and resulted in a contractor nabbing $3k from me and currently having him prosecuted by the county. I need diligence and confidence of a decision this important.

As he walked me through the quote process, i also had the opportunity to review the cutout of a triple pane window and then a roughly 24"x 20" version he had in his vehicle. I guess it seems like quality but what do i know?

With that being said - are the folks that started this post still out there to comment on what they did? Are others out there that know of anything on these windows or know how i find out more?

Thank you in advance.
Jim
Plymouth, MN

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Best thing you can probably do is see if you can get some comparable quotes on some well regarded windows like Soft-Lite, Sunrise, or Okna.

Vet those options and compare it to what you have there in front of you would be a good start.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

You expected to pay $30k for 15 windows? ... Hopefully none of the window salesmen in MN see this thread!... At the price quoted, that sounds reasonable for a high performance product installed by a great company. Certainly there may be other factors that go into that pricing, so as WoW recommended, getting a few another quote or two for comparison would be advisable.

On the product itself, can't say that I have seen it around here. Few things to look at: U value, shgc, condensation resistance, and air leakage. Those are all independently tested ratings that will give you a good view of the quality of the product. Also look for a welded, sloped sill on the dh's, no pocket sill or any designs that channel water through the frame and out weep holes.

On the company, 40 years is impressive. That said, look also at their reviews from multiple sources, visit their location, etc. Get a good feel for the operation and how they do things. You are not nearly as likely to be taken by a company that is established and has a great reputation. You will pay more to be sure, but they aren't going to run off with your money or leave a job unfinished.

kroc0005

#6 Post by kroc0005 »

Well...I wasn't saying I was going to sign on the dotted line for $30k without doing my research!! :D

Just without ever having to consider buying windows and having heard sticker shocks from people, I always assumed it was always an expensive proposal.... Research indeed was needed..

Mind you all, I live in Minnesota and that is Andersen, Marvin and Pella (albeit Iowa) territory --- so supporting the local economy is always important here. Their agents walk the neighborhoods looking at homes that clearly have older windows and make their pitches. At least once a year I have someone at my door and untold # of times are mailers being sent to me.....OK I get it...I need new windows!!!

So we know a lot of people that have used those products - spendier proposition indeed and perhaps not worth the money.

But so glad to see forums and good people like you all on this site and related post. SO helpful. Nice to see what opportunities exist out there for vinyl and frankly that the costs are so dramatically different than the wood or composites.

WIth all that being said, I did additional research on Walsh windows - a Duluth Mn company that has been in business for 60 years. The installation company has been around for 40 years. The windows have been produced for over 15 and with that the technology has continued to improved. They use some pretty good components: duralite spacers, Cardinal Low E 366 glass. The windows do have weep holes at the bottom so not exactly sure that is to the detriment. When I spoke to the installation contractor yesterday, they indicated their installers each have 20+ years of installation experience and for using the Walsh Windows for the past 10 years, with thousands of replacements conducted, the guy indicated he has only known of 5 failures that have occurred (fogging, seal failure, whatever it was.) They have a lifetime transferable warranty that includes breakage too. So I'm feeling good about this manufacturer also knowing they probably wont be going anywhere as being in business for 60+ years.

Also there is free triple pane upgrade through end of February. The Triple Panes' U value with the foam inserts that go into vinyl cavity (small upcharge) make for a 0.20 U value. That seems good. Windows are argon filled - everything seems like pretty standard expectations of window build and components.

More info if anyone cares can be viewed at Walsh Windows.

THANK YOU EVERYONE for the considerations that one should take and perspective. Much much appreciated for this lifetime decision.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

A .20 u factor from triple pane is good as is the duralite spacer. 366 glass and a pocket sill however are really not, particularly in your area. 366 glass is low solar gain glass which is more efficient in regions that are trying to cool their homes as opposed to heat them. Manufacturers use it because it gets a better u value, however the end result can be poorer performance overall in a cold climate like yours.

The pocket sill is an outdated and obsolete design on a double hung window. The issue is that in channeling water through the frame, it also channels debris like bugs, dirt, etc. This can affect the ability of that water to drain properly, and particularly in a cold climate with many freeze/thaw cycles, this can pose a pretty serious problem. The most severe would be the frame cracking and water intrusion into your walls.

Lastly, please check the air infiltration, condensation resistance, and dp as well. For me, a pocket sill would actually be a disqualifier as would 366 glass as standard, however if you are willing to look past those you will at least want to check on the other ratings.

kroc0005

#8 Post by kroc0005 »

HomeSealed - thank you for this additional info and looking at the windows. I want to bring this up to the installer and see what they have to say about these comments. And also to the manufacturer. The thought of the freeze/thaw cycle ran through my heads as the earlier poster mentioned how the weep holes worked.

I have a visit scheduled from Zen windows tomorrow, from this site and others I understand that their Lotus and Nirvanas are the Okna brands so will be interesting to see those in person too to aid the final decision.

THANK YOU.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Zen windows is Softlite, not Okna. The Softlite Elements and Imperial LS are very good products. Zen offers the Imperial Pro and Classic which are older models, but still offer above average performance.

kroc0005

#10 Post by kroc0005 »

Thank you for correction, I was incorrectly going off memory I think from a different site.

uncle eddie

#11 Post by uncle eddie »

kroc0005 wrote:HomeSealed - thank you for this additional info and looking at the windows. I want to bring this up to the installer and see what they have to say about these comments. And also to the manufacturer. The thought of the freeze/thaw cycle ran through my heads as the earlier poster mentioned how the weep holes worked.

I have a visit scheduled from Zen windows tomorrow, from this site and others I understand that their Lotus and Nirvanas are the Okna brands so will be interesting to see those in person too to aid the final decision.

THANK YOU.
Hs is right. You are moving in the right direction. The tundra looks pretty bad, and the zen stuff is better but middling. Elements is a really great window

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

uncle eddie wrote: Hs is right. You are moving in the right direction. The tundra looks pretty bad, and the zen stuff is better but middling. Elements is a really great window
+1.

That Elements is a nice window.

The Pro and Classic are nice units, but folks tend to forget they are really old and were replaced inside of the product line up because of product updates.

I guess the automotive analogy would Be like someone wanting a carburetor when fuel injection is commonplace.