Marvin Infinity Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Virginian

Marvin Infinity Windows

#1 Post by Virginian »

We have 16 windows and 2 patio doors that need to be replaced. We are considering Marvin Infinity (fiber glass), Renewals by Andersen (sounds like a vinyl composite with scrap wood bits), Jen-Weld wooden windows, and Milgard fiber glass. Selecting the right window is becoming a very difficult process, with price per window ranging from $875 to $1100. Do we do full-frame replacement or just the window inserts? Is fiberglass better than wood? Do we replace in phases over several years, or all at once? Right now, I am leaning towards excluding Renewals by Andersen, after reading all kinds of bad press on vinyl windows. I can use some guidance from someone who has gone through this process.

Skydawggy.

Re: Marvin Infinity Windows

#2 Post by Skydawggy. »

Where are you reading all kinds of bad press on vinyl windows? Can you provide a link? Renewal by Andersen is not a vinyl window, it's a composite window. Actually not a bad product but many Pro's think it's a bit overpriced.

Marvin Infinity would be my choice of the group you have looked at so far.

Virginian

#3 Post by Virginian »

Thanks. Here is the info on vinyl: vinyl-windows.org/

Andersen Fibrex appears to be a composite of essentially vinyl with bits and pieces of scrap wood: http://www.andersenwindows.com/servlet/ ... 0437179662
They make is sound like it's so much better than plain vanilla vinyl. But the wood in it is not even solid wood ...... basically, they are recycling bits and pieces left over from their manufacturing processes. Is it marketing (putting lipstick) or is this composite really all that better than simply vinyl? I can't tell, and it is very confusing to say the least.

Skydawggy.

#4 Post by Skydawggy. »

You do realize that report is from the 1995-1999 era? Many vinyl windows have come a long way since then. Different additives in the vinyl like titanium dioxide have helped to strengthen the vinyl and better manufacturing techniques have vastly improved vinyl windows. Fact is, if you purchase a quality vinyl window you will likely have fewer problems with it than a wood window and a quality vinyl window is more energy efficient than wood or fiberglass windows in terms of U-factors and air infiltration. Vinyl windows also generally come with better warranties than wood, wood/vinyl composites or fiberglass.

Buy what suits you but, do so with a correct set of facts.

buddy11

#5 Post by buddy11 »

Sky is right, there are better vinyls today then 10 years ago. That said you will be very happy with Infinity.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

To broaden your range of potential installers you can also look at Marvin Integrity.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would not be surprised if that site didn't have some Andersen window money backing it.

Nearly all of those "facts" are long since out dated and inaccurate.

In the non-vinyl category, there isn't a nicer window made than the Infinity right now. This is as it pertains to the non-vinyl/non-wood window options.

TLHWINDOW

#8 Post by TLHWINDOW »

"Vinyl is simply not suitable on its own as a window material. Says Mike Compleu of Anderson Window Corp who has never made an all vinyl window.”

Then they Bought SilverLine who is an ALL vinyl window company.

buddy11

#9 Post by buddy11 »

I love the hypocracy of RBA and it's dealers. There's an RBA dealer here who sold Gorell for years, very succesfully. Now he trashes the very produuct he promoted.
What a great representitive of the industry.. :roll:

Virginian

#10 Post by Virginian »

Thanks all. I am also looking into Pella (both Proline and Impervia) as well as Milgard Ultra. The journey will contiunue for a while since I still have a lot to learn, and the overall cost is looking to be around $20K. That's a lot of dough, and certainly worth time spent understanding what I am buying ..........

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Impervia is not a good comparison but you will see that shortly after looking at it. My Pella rep will even admit that.

Milgard Ultra....okay product but bulky and getting ready to re-designed for the probably the 5th time (I know Randy liked the 1st version).

Virginian

#12 Post by Virginian »

Is doing a home energy audit worth the money spent ($195)? My Marvin rep is recommending a full replacement (including the frame) for all of my windows except the bay window, which'll be a pocket install. I am wondering whether that is really necessary. With thermal imaging, I guess I'll find out if the current frames are leaking out all the heat/cool. Funny enough, the full-frame replacement lowers the overall material costs a little but really jacks up labor costs. $6.5K of the $20K quote is due to labor required for full-frame installs. That looks like a very big #.

I did not know about the frequent re-designs and bulkiness of the Ultras. That does not look like a good sign. Thank you WoW for this insight.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

$195 for an energy Audit is really cheap if someone qualified is doing the Audit.

Thermal Bridging...? What exactly is the Marvin Rep suggesting about a full tear out to address that? Thermal bridging is most evident with wood framing members. Is the Marvin Rep suggesting that you use foam in lieu of structural wood? :lol: Every window/stick built home will have some thermal bridging where there are stacked framing members (around window and door openings) and nothing about a full tear out addresses that.

The only way to address thermal bridge is with a thermal break. In this application, that would be some sort of rigid foam layer on the exterior of the building.

It depends largely on what your existing windows are and how the openings are addressed. If you have old wood windows with weight pockets and they do a full tear out and don't insulate the pockets, congratulations...you just got an overpriced window that did nothing to address the thermal issues.

If there is nothing wrong with the openings, you can make an insert window as efficient if not more.

Post up some pictures of your windows and the pros on here will tell you what you need to know.