drafty new windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Windows on Washington

Re: drafty new windows

#16 Post by Windows on Washington »

That was a new construction video and does not have application in a replacement window project.

That just demonstrates the relative small role of the housewrap on water management.

Guy

#17 Post by Guy »

Cyberghost, I have been cautiously watching this topic without response because I didn't have enough information yet. I'm still a bit puzzled on the contractors methods and theories. My most baffled thought is why they told you a Full Frame replacement (new construction) had no benefit. I would assume every pro on this board would always take the full frame approach because it is the ultimate choice. Once I read your post about them coming back and removing siding my decision was made. If they are removing siding and not doing the full frame I'd throw down the Shenanigan card instantly! If any installer told you that insulating isn't part of their process, I'd recommend kicking their.......out of your house and into the street. I'd find a copy of the installation guide on your windows and read through them. I'll guarantee there's a line item on proper insulation of the window. If there is and they chose not to do it, they've possibly violated code. The code perfectly states that windows must be installed per manufacturers guidelines.

If they installed windows first without any nail fin, then removed siding afterwards to add aluminum capping and house wrap after that....sweet Mother Mary of God!! That's the dumbest think I've heard in my 36 years in the trade. My life is now complete and I can proceed to the Bucket List!!

You need to contact some one from the "Building Performance Institute" or BPI. You may otherwise consider calling out the manufacturers rep to see if he has a heart attack on your property. You need to stop everything in its tracks and deal with a non bias party before the contractor covers everything up. Your current contractor isn't being honest with you and wants a quick departure. Just stop it all until you can get another opinion.

If I didn't have so many classes to teach I'd jump on a plane to come and physically see that one for myself. I'm going to refrain from passing judgement for now without pictures. I couldn't sit back anymore and watch you throw your hard earned cash out the window, literally. When I started on this board back in 2004 the Pro's here were all on the same agenda. We were here to help any consumer get the answer to their questions without any sales pitch or BS. The Administration of this board has stood behind is in our ethics and honestly runs two of the best forums I know of. We've helped a lot of people over the years and gain enormous amounts of information from each other and consumers. I honestly thought most of these "Hacks" in layman's terms, were run out of town. Guess I have to go back into my time capsule again. It breaks my heart every time I hear another tragic story like this. Protect yourself and get another opinion.

As for compensation you'll have to check your contract to see if there's anything spelled out in there. If not, seek council or call your local Attorney General. Just don't fall for any more BS from your current installer any more!!!

Windows on Washington

#18 Post by Windows on Washington »

Guy is 110% correct.

We always stress for our customers to hold off on their window projects if they are planning on doing siding. It has cost us a couple of jobs too where competitors have swooped in and told them to do siding, then windows or windows, then siding.

Doing it in segments like that will dis allow you from using a full frame window (aka nailing flanges) as well as cost you more labor on the aggregate.

jozkid

#19 Post by jozkid »

Whoa, guys! Wait up a minute! As someone who just spent a ton of $$ on replacement windows recently and is considering new siding (although probably not for a couple of years), are you saying that it isn't possible to install siding with the replacements in, or it just isn't preferable? I mean, I didn't have the money to do both at the same time, but waiting would've caused more potential damage in the interim.

If you end up doing new siding after the fact, are there any specific installation techniques that need to be followed (that perhaps you wouldn't ordinarily if you were doing everything at once with new windows) so you get a home that is not prone to water or air leakage? You've got me feeling a rather large lump in the pit of my stomach right now. I wasn't being a complete dweeb by getting this work done now, was I?

buddy11

#20 Post by buddy11 »

jozkid wrote:

If you end up doing new siding after the fact, are there any specific installation techniques that need to be followed (that perhaps you wouldn't ordinarily if you were doing everything at once with new windows) so you get a home that is not prone to water or air leakage? You've got me feeling a rather large lump in the pit of my stomach right now. I wasn't being a complete dweeb by getting this work done now, was I?

You'll be fine. I would suggest having your old siding removed completely. This will allow the windows to get a proper water proof flashing. This may help cut down some of the drafts you feel. It may also allow the installers to inject foam where needed which will also help

proteus

#21 Post by proteus »

cyberghost wrote:Oh my... nothing even close to that was done. These were replacement windows. So they installed all windows in a couple days. Then came back a few weeks later to rip old siding and do new siding.
They ripped, then flashed around windows with bent vinyl clad aluminum...no caulking...
Then applied house wrap..not all the way up to windows and not all the way under fascia boards.. some exposed wood seen.
Siding went up
Then they wrapped trim with vinyl clad.
Dont watch the movie "tin men "
you tube has a billion vids on this type of install,supervision is not necessary with most contractors but maybe not in this instance.

hope you can get a proactive result from this install did you talk or contact any previous customers to get their two cents for references ?
or their installation procedures ,rants or raves , your contractor work = sloppy slam job,
any air leaks are unacceptable
tape is so cheap per roll , even it if it is lapped at the seams
protecto-seal rubber tape and spray adhesive is bulletproof with tyvek tape
hope you can get his resolved peacefully

need to post some install pics to this site