Replacement windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
fantunes

Replacement windows

#1 Post by fantunes »

I am looking to replace windows in a home I have just purchased. The home currently has single-pane wood windows, original to 1956 construction.

I have received estimates from Renewal by Andersen, and Pella ( on their vinyl, Pro-Line wood clad, and Impervia fiberglass windows).
Yesterday a contractor introduced me to CompositWood windows by Interstate. These supposedly have U-factors of: .27 on a double pane double hung, and .22 on triple pane ( Argon) or .20 on triple pane ( Argon/ Krypton).

Does anyone have any experience with these Interstate windows?

Thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I had the interstate rep call on me last week.

I don't have a real working knowledge of the product but I will be looking at it more closely on Monday.

It is made of a cellular PVC like the Okna Starmark.

fantunes

#3 Post by fantunes »

Thanks W.o.W.

Is cellular PVC any good? I probably would be considering it if the U-factors weren't so good.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Cellular PVC is kind of like a PVC cappuccino as it was coined by one of the other pros on here. It is a matrix of PVC that has air bubbles trapped in it. The air bubbles offset the weight of the thicker profile while allowing the strength to remain higher than your average extrusion of PVC as well as driving up the R-Value of the material. It is a proven technology at this point. It has more to do with how the window is put together.

There are a couple of manufacturers that have it figure out. To my recollection of the small corner cut I saw of the Interstate window, it is not welded together but rather screwed and glued. This is not a damnation of the window but just an observance. Several very good non-vinyl windows are screwed and glued.