Comparing Softlite and Gorell

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
prood1128

Comparing Softlite and Gorell

#1 Post by prood1128 »

I am shopping for replacement windows--so far I have looked at Gorell and Softlite windows--any thoughts about which is a better brand. Our preference is for triple pane double hung windows. Any other suggested brands to look at?

Windows on Washington

Re: Comparing Softlite and Gorell

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Both very good brands. Can't go wrong with either.

What part of the country are you in where you want triple pane?

buddy11

#3 Post by buddy11 »

Yep, both are very well built windows

WindowInstaller

#4 Post by WindowInstaller »

I agree both are excellent windows. And also with windows on washington about triple pane. I am in wi and for the most part only sell triple pane when sound reduction is a major concern, won't necessarily gain that much energy efficiency. Not that much bang for your buck.

prood1128

#5 Post by prood1128 »

Thanks for the info--I live in Northern Virginia and one contractor though triple pane was over kill for my area especially since we do not need noise abatement--another product came accross our horizon--Vytex--any info on this company

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Triple pane is not overkill for any market necessarily. It depends on several factors of the home and budgets.

Triple pane also does zero to assist with noise abatement over double pane and may actually block less sound.

I will wait for Sky's comments on Vytex.

Integra

#7 Post by Integra »

Vytex is a local window fabricator in Beltsville, MD. They've been around since around the mid 80s. Their main business is selling windows to the little kiddie tin men wannabes that reside in and around University of Md. Now they've spread to George Mason and several other local colleges. They farm the colleges for telemarketers and canvassers and promise them riches far beyond what they could earn flipping burgers or tossing pizza. It's all a numbers game to them. If you have them back to your house 15 times, you'll get 15 successively lower prices. Their windows are rather average. I think they buy (or at least used to buy) their window extrusions from Custom Window Extrusions, and they are essentially Chelsea knock-offs. The original founder's name was Richard Taylor who used to own United Energy, but I understand he sold the company to a guy named Andy who used to handle the engineering for Vytex. He's owned the company for maybe 15 years now. I've never been enamored with their windows or the guys who sell their products. After being around them, they used to make me want to take a shower with a wire brush.