"Preservation Windows" HELP! CT

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Louisa

"Preservation Windows" HELP! CT

#1 Post by Louisa »

I bought my deceased parents' house from their estate in September. It was built in 1962-3, and has it's original windows, single pane w/storm windows, mostly double-hung.

A window rep from Preservation Windows came to the house over the weekend and went through an elaborate and impressive demonstration of their product - Vinyl, triple pane, filled with krypton.

We need to replace all the windows in the house, about 23 all together, including 2 sets of 3 light sliders in the kitchen/living room (they're actually going to cut a hole in the wall to add the third of each set - which will add a lot of light to the room, happily), plus two awning windows around the picture window. The rest of the windows in the house would be double-hung.

The up side is we're buying directly from the sales force that only sells preservation brand, so there are no real "middlemen". They actually guarantee at least a 30% savings in heating costs (which he said will probably be more considering we're going from 45 year old windows and casings which are just rotting away). Everything about the windows (everything, including hardware, gas leaking, mechanisms, etc.) is guaranteed for life and is transferable to the next owner if we sell. The company's been around for 75 years. They've been selling this particular model for two years and are willing to put us in touch with their clients for references.

The price for the entire job is about $36000. It will also save us from having to pay to have the really disasterous chipping, pealing trim repaired (about $2500).

So, my questions, (i) does this sound like a good deal to you all who may have more experience with these things, and (ii) this is a large, but modest, house. Are we trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear?

Thanks for all of your thoughts.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: "Preservation Windows" HELP! CT

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

It's a GREAT DEAL! ...........for the contractor. For you, not so much. I would expect somewhere near half that cost ...even if I thought they were a good window, which I don't.

Louisa

#3 Post by Louisa »

Gulp...please tell me more....why don't you like them?

Louisa

#4 Post by Louisa »

As I said, there isn't a contractor. Everyone as I understand it works for Preservation, to one extent or another.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

You misunderstood, which is what the salesman wants and likely intended. Preservation is a product made by Alside. It is a middle of the road product that is usually sold waay overpriced. The pricing you've described is some of the worst I've seen. I would highly recomend getting additional estimates. You WILL find a superior product at a better price. IMO, the company who has quoted you has engaged in unethical practices by 1: Misleading you to believe that there is "no middle-man", and 2: offering you an offensive price.

buddy11

#6 Post by buddy11 »

+1 to HomeSealed's comments. This is an old game from a seasoned salesman. Alside makes a "C" product at best. That particular window should sell for about 12-15k, no more. I could sell you Infinity from Marvin for less than that :wink: That said, I would expect to pay 20+/- in your area for a good product. Look for Okna, Gorell or Sunrise. All are available in CT

jozkid

#7 Post by jozkid »

Holy cow! These guys aren't kidding! I just replaced 26 double-hungs, a picture window (all Okna Starmarks), 3 fiberglass entry doors and 2 new storm doors for a little over $21,000! And my home is in MA and about the same age. A quote from Marvin for Infinitys (for just the windows and installation - no doors) was only about $26,000. And those are truly gorgeous windows. I'm no pro, but I'd run away from that salesman.

Louisa

#8 Post by Louisa »

But what I want/need to know is this, these windows from Preservation are triple pane and filled with Krypton. The rate on them is like, .19. Do the other windows, the Anderson and the Okna, etc., offer the same kind of thing?

I have friends who complained that their replacement windows lower grade windows got foggy and collected condensation, I really want to avoid that entirely.

Can someone out there tell me exactly WHY they don't like Preservation windows (other than the pricing, which I know is astronomical). It's hard to get information on what the different windows are filled with, gas wise, I assume most are filled with argon, but evidently the krypton is a better insulator.

And thank you all for your comments. I so appreciate all your input.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

In the case of Okna, thermal numbers are better. 0.15 with krypton. RBA does not have a triple glazed option to my knowledge.

Ask about what the air infiltration numbers are on that window as well as the visible transmittance numbers.

Large frame dimensions and less glass, high air infiltration numbers, clip in sill design, mid grade thermal numbers.

campbellmi

#10 Post by campbellmi »

I have seen the Window comparison pictures posted a couple of times now, but I am confused if these really are representative of all Alsides windows. I have family members in the construction biz who are very favorable toward Alside, but I have not been able to find a showroom yet where I can see them directly. Do all Alside replacement windows really show so much glass/view loss?

I am just starting to educate myself for a window replacement project. I signed a deal with RBA a couple of weeks ago, but quickly canceled the contract when I came to my senses.

Thanks,

Michael

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Sheffield is the most glass hungry as it relies on a clip in sill design. The use the same extrusion on all 4 sides of the frame and use a clip in sloped sill adapter and therefore have that very tall sill. The sides are thicker than normal as well.

The Excalibur is very thin on the sides but leaks air terribly.