Soundproofing Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
bapple4

Soundproofing Windows

#1 Post by bapple4 »

I live in a small suburb in Chicago. I am plagued with noise from baskbetball playing, lawn mowers, loud music, bugs chiriping, etc. Because my community is so quiet, any noise tends to be annoying because it is one consistent sound for hours. It reminds me of the old I Love Lucy episode when Little Ricky was learning to play drums-dum, dum, dum dum dum dum, dum.... I got an estimate from USA Windows to soundproof all the walls in my home but wonder if this would solve the problem. I have never known anyone who has done this before. I have not found anyone to provide me a window soundproof estimate yet. What do you think would be best for me. Has anyone had similiar problems. :?:

Windows on Washington

Re: Soundproofing Windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

There is a pro in your area by the name of "Window4U" who has all of the best products and knowledge to address all of your concerns.

He is very well regarded by the other board pros here and has a long history of happy customers.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3479&start=15

Skydawggy.

#3 Post by Skydawggy. »

You will need to consider laminated glass for your windows. This is the only solution to abating noise through them. If your windows are fairly new and in good shape, then look at the possibility of adding a storm window with lam. glass. If your windows are old and need to be replaced, you should look at new windows with lam. glass. Don't let anyone tell you just replacing your windows with double or triple pane will be effective in your situation. The laminatd glass is the only solution.

Post back here and let us know how you are doing and we will try and help you solve this problem.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sorry about that. I kind of skipped over the "helping" part.

Here are some useful facts to compliment Sky's accurate summary.

Sound Control Principles
What is Sound?
Sound, which is defined as any thing the ear can hear, originates from something making vibrations. These vibrations spread out in all directions, much like the ripples created when a stone is dropped in still water.
When a sound is generated in air it causes air pressure changes. The human ear can hear such sounds in a range from 20 to about 20,000 air pressure changes per second.
The number of these air pressure changes emanating from the source of the vibration is measured by the number of cycles per second. In the field of acoustics, the international term for cycles per second is hertz (Hz). When a sound wave is said to measure 500 Hz, it means that there are 500 "ripples" of air pressure per second from the vibration. This 500 Hz is the sound frequency.
Sound Reduction
There are two fundamental considerations which come into play when measuring the reduction of sound through windows, walls, or other building components:
Sound Transmission Loss (STL) -- indicates the effectiveness of a window or wall in reducing exterior sounds and are measured in decibels. When measuring the ability of a window or wall to reduce outdoor sounds such as traffic noise, STL's are generally figured in the frequency range of 125-4000 Hz. STL's are frequency dependent.
Sound Transmission Class (STC) -- measured in decibels, is an average value associated with a material's effectiveness in reducing sound. An STC rating is a quick reference number for the entire frequency band, and is designed to measure interior noises at levels most common to human speech (500Hz-2,000Hz). The higher the value, the greater the reduction of sound.
Critical considerations when controlling sound
Sound transmission occurs whenever there is an air-space. It is important to note that sound reducing glazing systems are rendered less effective if air leaks exist around glass, doors, vents or other areas. In addition, it is important when increasing the effectiveness of one component or material in a structure, such as the windows, other building components such as the walls need to be brought to a similar efficiency level. Sound will always travel through the weakest component.
Factors relating to the effectiveness of controlling sound
There are three physical properties of glass that have a bearing on its effectiveness in sound reduction:
Mass - sound reduction will increase with increased glass thickness due to the greater mass involved.
Damping - the reduction of sound due to the ability of a material to absorb sound rather than allowing it to transfer through. Laminated glass, with its polyvinyl butryal interlayer, is an example of a material that is effective in absorbing sound.
Stiffness - refers to the ability of a glazing system to bend or wave with the sounds motion. 1/2" glass will bend or wave with sound where as 1/8 is likely to resonate or vibrate.
Sound Control Example
1/4" over 7/32" Laminated provides the following benefits:
1/4" provides the mass which reduces sound transmission.
The 1/8" lites which make up the 7/32" laminated glass have the ability to bend rather than vibrate. The polyvinyl butyral interlayer in the laminated lite provides the damping or absorbing of sound. This glazing option provides benefits of all 3 physical properties: Mass, Damping and Stiffness.
Sound Solution Ideas
Glass
Laminated Glass -- Best
1/4" over 1/4" -- Adequate for many situations
Lites of differing thickness
Insulated Glass -- a noticeable improvement from a single lite
Frame
Quiet Line Vinyl Windows -- multiple glass lites combine to reduce sound dramatically. Wider, multi-chamber frame further reduces sound effects.
Vinyl Windows -- hollows in vinyl frame help deaden sound.
WoodClad Windows -- hollows in pultrusion frame help deaden sound.
Air infiltration can affect the amount of sound that enters the home. Quick Guide for Applications for Adequate Sound Control (units only, does not include frame)
General neighborhood noises - 1/8" over 1/8" (STC 28)
Near a busy road or highway - 1/4" over 1/4" (STC 35)
Near Airport - Laminated over 1/4" (STC 39)
Near Train - Laminated over 1/4" (STC 39)
Near park or gathering place - 1/4" over 1/4" (STC 35)
Loud music from neighbor - Laminated over 1/4" (STC 39)
Other Considerations
Laminated glass also provides great protection from UV and adds safety and security.
Use caution specifying differing thickness of glass. The wavelengths where this combination is effective are very specific.