Alside Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jlw783

Alside Windows

#1 Post by jlw783 »

My wife and I met with an Alside sales rep. tonight. He quoted $15,700 for 15 windows, which are about 1/2 casement and 1/2 double hung. Double pane with 1/4 inch glass and argon in between. Lifetime warranty, etc. I thought that was a bit much, so 10 minutes later the price dropped by $4k. Instant credibility questions for me, but he is a nice young guy.

My question is what is your experience with Alside. The distributor company is Rite Way in the Chicago area.

Any info on this, or better options, would be appreciated.

Skydawggy.

Re: Alside Windows

#2 Post by Skydawggy. »

Alside is not thought of highly by the Pros on this board. A quick search will bring up many threads where Alside Windows are discussed.

If I lived in the Chicago area, I would get a quote from a Pro on here who posts as: Windows4U. He carries most of the better brands and is very reasonably priced.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Alside= Poor to mediocre windows, horrible price... Talk to Windows4U... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3556

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:Alside= Poor to mediocre windows, horrible price... Talk to Windows4U... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3556
+1

What a horrible price on any Alside Window.

Dave aka "Window4U" has the best brands that are available today at your disposal.

jlw783

#5 Post by jlw783 »

Thanks for your responses re. Alside windows. Couple more questions, if you don't mind.

First, how do I get in touch with the Chicago window guy ("windows4u")?

Next, the current quote is $8,200. 5 two panel casement windows. 7 double hung windows. 1 octagon bathroom window. 1 bathroom window fit into existing glass block. 1 5' by 4' picture window molded (?) with two of the double hung windows. This fits a large opening in the living room.

This is much closer to our price range than the original $15k quote.

The house is 45 years old. My wife and I will be here for the duration.

Any thought, suggestions?

Thanks.

buddy11

#6 Post by buddy11 »

the current quote for what window?

To find W4U click the link in Homesealds thread

jlw783

#7 Post by jlw783 »

This is the quote for all the windows installed.

Thanks for the tip on finding W4U.

Skydawggy.

#8 Post by Skydawggy. »

What Alside model was the quote for? Ultra-Maxx, Sheffield, Excalibur, etc.?

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

So if I'm counting correctly, (2 panel casements actually count as 2 windows) you really have 20 units. At $8k that is suspiciously low unless its an Excalibur or worse... Does that include exterior capping and lead safe practices?

jlw783

#10 Post by jlw783 »

The windows are Ultra Maxx. Exterior capping included. I don't know about lead safe practices, but they said the rooms would have to taped off during installation.

Skydawggy.

#11 Post by Skydawggy. »

Other than the fact that the Ultra-Maxx is made by Alside, the biggest problem I have with it is the frame is very bulky, which means you will lose quite a bit of glass. The other issue is it uses a snap in u-shaped sill pocket. Most Pros generally don't like this design because it channels water through the frame and then out weep holes. In doing so it will also wash pollen, atmospheric dirt etc. into the interior of the frame. This can lead to the weep holes becoming clogged and water standing inside the frame. There are just simply better choices that don't have, what many consider, a design flaw. You can definitely do better for that price tag.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

$410 per window including trim and RRP compliance??? :shock: I don't think he will find a much better deal than that without going to a really shoddy product... I'm not an Alside fan, but I really do think that pricing is quite good/low.