Canadian Thermo Windows vs. Serious Windows vs. Milgard

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
mujerviva62

Canadian Thermo Windows vs. Serious Windows vs. Milgard

#1 Post by mujerviva62 »

Trying to compare Canadian Thermo Windows Ecosmart 4000 series with Serious Windows 300 Series and Milgard's Tuscany series.

Background: Recently received a quote for CTW EcoSmart 4000 series replacement vinyl windows in the area of $26K for 14 custom-size windows, 4 sliding doors, all with Low e and argon gas. This includes all labor, taxes, blah, blah, blah. Now I'm trying to compare apples-to-apples to see if I'm getting a fair price and need some help. Would these 3 window products equal a fair comparison or am I off? I humbly admit that I know very little about spec, materials, etc. I'm just a homeowner who's been given a sales pitch from a local remodeling co. that says they are the only ones in the area who exclusively sell these Canadian-based windows, but need to know if I'm being overcharged. BTW, the rep didn't give me a cost breakdown, so I haven't a clue what I'm being charged for labor. Let's just say that we started the session with their top-of-the-line windows, the 9000 series, and a quote of $39K if I signed up on the spot or a $52K price good for 1 year. No can do amigo, I said and by the time the night ended, about 12a.m, we settled on $26K for the lower-end windows and permission for the contractor to advertise their business by way of a sign on my front lawn for 30 days, take before and after pics of my house, and allow people to call me to ask my thoughts on their goods and service. I should have never made an on-the-spot decision so very late at night. Now I'm scrambling to get quotes on other brands to see if I received a fair price, and if not, cancel the order before 72 hours. I only have 48 left. Not a wise approach, I shamefully admit. :(

Needless to say, today I drove to a nearby Lowe's (I'm in Eastern Los Angeles County) and checked out their Milgard vinyl windows and, of course, the cost was much less--$9500, not including labor & taxes. Should I compare the quality of Milgard's Tuscany series to Canadian Thermo Window's 4000 series and Serious Windows 300 series? Are all vinyl windows the same in quality/durability?

Anyway, hopefully someone can tell me if comparing these 3 is fair. Also, what questions should I ask to determine if I'm getting a quality product & fair price? Again, I know practically nothing about windows.

Sorry for long post, and thanks for your time.

Skydawggy.

Re: Canadian Thermo Windows vs. Serious Windows vs. Milgard

#2 Post by Skydawggy. »

First of all relax. There is no hurry to purchase windows. Call the company tomorrow and tell them you would like to cancel the order to give yourself more time to be sure you have made a good decision.

Secondly, you need to take some time to educate yourself as to what different windows cost, what windows are available in your area and which window features are important to you. You also need time to get a few more estimates on windows and also select the best contractor to do the installation.

I'm not familiar with Canadian Thermo-Windows and it may turn out that's what you end up going with but trust me when I tell you the deal will still be there in a few weeks. If fact they may decide to come down even more on the price once they find out you plan on shopping around.

Milgard is an OK window but you won't be able to determine if it's worth the price or the best window for you until you compare it to a few other brands.

This site is a great source to ask questions about the windows you are interested in and we can definitely help you wade thru the BS. But you need to do most of the work. Nobody on here can tell you "what's the best window to buy".You need to get the estimates and then come on here and ask questions.

So cancel that order and let's get started.

mujerviva62

#3 Post by mujerviva62 »

Okay, I've relaxed. Cancelled the order this morning, too. Will get back to this site with the various estimates, questions, etc.

Many thanks for your help & the therapeutic advice to "chill out." :)

dogtail

#4 Post by dogtail »

I just googled the CTW and realized their address is the same as the Magic Window company. I am vaguely familiar with them. Average window with alot of gimmicks(i.e. slider screen on the inside, like a Phantom roll away screen) and astericks. Just remember when you open the screen to close the window all the bugs fly in, similar to the Pella patio door if it is in fact the same window you purchased.

26K for 14 windows and 4 pd seems excessive unless they are all combination/multi-mulled windows. Best to cancel asap, for that price I'll drive down the same windows from Michigan...if you catch my drift.

mujerviva62

#5 Post by mujerviva62 »

Thanks, dogtail. Yes, cancelled order this morning. It did seem like a lot of money, but when it's a weeknight, your tired from day's work, and the sales rep isn't packing up when you say, "Okay, thanks for your time, but we'll have to get some other estimates," and keeps, albeit politely, asking you if you liked the product, could see these windows on your house, blah, blah, blah...well, you know how mistakes can be made. "Gentle pressure" sales tactics, perhaps? I'm grateful for the 72 hour cancellation period, believe me. Note: No offense to the sales reps out there; I know they're trying to earn a living like everyone else.

Maybe things cost more in California than in some other states, hence the higher price tag?? I dunno....

Thanks for mentioning CTW's address is the same as Magic Windows and that their windows are average quality.

Take care.

Skydawggy.

#6 Post by Skydawggy. »

A few windows I'd look at in CA. would be Simonton, Amerimax and Milgard. There are other good quality windows available but these 3 should be given some consideration. Gotta start somewhere. You can Google their website and use the dealer locator to get a list of dealers near you.

mujerviva62

#7 Post by mujerviva62 »

One thing that is important to me is a window company that stands by it's product. A company with integrity and stellar reputation in the window industry. I don't need a company that has inferior QC, ignore my calls if something goes wrong, or charges me big bucks to come out and replace window parts because they skimped on quality parts initially. I also need a company who will have the replacement parts my windows may need 10, 15 years down the road. Hopefully I won't need any. :) I'd like a window that will hold up for 15+ years because I'm not into replacing windows every 5-10 years. I'd rather pay a bit more now and get the better, not necessarily the best, product in the market and have the installation done correctly. I don't want to cut corners where it matters...been there, done that and regret it to this day.

If there is a company that includes normal wear & tear in its warranty coverage and allows me to transfer my warranty to the buyer should I sell my home in 10 years, I'm also very interested.

Also, moving to fiberglass windows, are they worth the extra expense? I'm open to buying this type if indeed the product is much more durable than vinyl. Again, I want my windows to last a long time. What reputable fiberglass window/patio door companies should I be looking at here in California? Thanks.

I should add that I live in the San Gabriel Valley, about 20 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. We have summers where temps climb up to 105-110 degrees but usually not for the whole summer. Winter lows drop down to the high 20s every once in a while, not often. Lows mainly between high 30s - 50s in winter. Rainy months are December to March, but we've been in drought mode for a few years now. Monsoon weather is in August and not for very long.

Thanks again for any/all help.

Skydawggy.

#8 Post by Skydawggy. »

I'd look at Marvin and Milgard for fiberglass windows in CA. both are pretty good companies. The key is going to be to find a reputable installer.

D-Con5

#9 Post by D-Con5 »

I know this thread is several months old, but I find myself in the exact same situation.

mujerviva62, I'm curious if you purchased the CTW Eco Smart 4000 windows or selected something else.

I cancelled my order the Eco Smart 8000 series after reading you post and follow-up replies. Coincidentally, I also live in California (LA area). The car salesman type pitch and "good cop-bad cop" phone calls with the owner to secure additional discounts was predictable and made me uneasy. The product itself looks excellent. But research and quotes on other products is the right thing to do.

Skydawggy said it very well, the deal will still be there weeks from now.

For the series 8000, I was quoted $16,900 for 6 windows (8 openings, this includes two mulled windows) and a 10 ft sliding patio door.

The sales rep told me CTW and Magic Window were the same company.

I had one Milgard window installed last year and have been very pleased with the product. The installation contractor also remodeled my master bedroom/bath and I was extremely pleased with his work.

Would appreciate your thoughts.
Michael