Windows generating external hot spots

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
kokopelli

Windows generating external hot spots

#1 Post by kokopelli »

My home was built using Milgard vinyl windows seven years ago. The windows are Low-E. Many have clearly failed, mostly the southwestern exposure ones (even though my house is located in the Pacific Northwest). Many have a very noticeable pink-to-purple hue from the outside. Two of these very pink windows also cast hot, pink spots on the ground, which move with the sun. These pink-hued spots are very hot. You can stand in one on a cold day and be warm. My car was parked in my driveway and the spot hit its black molding and burned a portion of it. I contacted Milgard to find out why the windows would be causing the hot spots, but they have failed to respond. Is there anybody out there who has experienced anything like this and understands the mechanics behind it? I need to have many of my windows replaced, but if the hot spot is caused by the Low-E coating, I would need to avoid that. Right now, I can no longer park my car in my driveway on a sunny day.

Windows on Washington

Re: Windows generating external hot spots

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

This was thought to be an "old wives tale", however, I have personally witnessed it myself.

The Low-e can create a mirror effect and unintentionally focus the sun's energy much like a magnifying glass might.

I have observed melted siding, shingles, and charred trim pieces.

This is not my picture but is representative.

Skydawggy.

#3 Post by Skydawggy. »

I've heard stories of heat reflected from LoE glass causing siding to warp but I've never actually seen it. Obviously the windows have failed. The only thing I can think of that could be causing this, and I admit it is probably a stretch, is the glass has somehow bowed causing some magnification similar to a magnifying glass. Just a wild guess. Either that or it's a beam from Aliens on a distant Planet trying to contact us. :lol:

Seriously, please post back when Milgard comes up with a reason. I would be very interested in knowing what caused this.

kokopelli

#4 Post by kokopelli »

Thanks for the info. I thought I was losing my mind (and I think everyone I have told this to thought so as well). Here is a photo of the burn on my car and the suspected culprit.